4 in rough country lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4 in rough country lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
bmxer66
2000 WJ 

4 in rough country lift?

Has anyone put a 4 in rough country lift on their WJ? If so did you have to change anything like drive shafts or anything?

bmxer66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
fast540
1999 WJ 

Yes and yes. I run a Rc x series no transfer case drop or bump extensions and additional limit straps. My front bumper is chopped way up and I run a protofab rear bumper I'm on 265/75/16 (32" actual height)tread wrights stock wheels and I can say this is the best trail rig I've owned I'm known in my jeep group as the guy to follow if u wanna hit the hard stuff. The lift works great its tough as heck and quiet which is all I could ask from a few susp bits and some springs
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

The x-series is a little different in the parts it provides...If your talking about the basic 4in, head a different direction like the IRO 3in or 4in lift, even the zone 4in lift. They are a better quality lift with the appropriate parts required to replace. I have/had the RC basic 4in and i have almost replaced every part it came with. The trackbar drop bracket is a horrible concept and so is the drop pitman arm AND the t-case drop. Yes to your driveshaft question, i purchased the IRO conversion to u joints. Talk to IRO's customer service, they are great and will get you what you need and answer your questions. www.ironrockoffroad.com
I personally would have purchased the 3 or 4in lifts from them if i did better research beforehand...would have saved me a ton of money.
24" light bar//x2 3" duallys//JK steelies//31's

My Build Thread
WJ_allday04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
bmxer66
2000 WJ 

So how much do you think you put in your lift? Cause I wanna do a 4 but I don't wanna have to change a lot of stuff besides the things that come with the kit.
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
bmxer66
2000 WJ 

And I was just gunna do the $500 llift not the x series.
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

...haha alot....as my signature states:
IRO driveshaft conversion - $300
IRO UCA's and LCA's - $350
JKS track bar - $150
HARD KOR bushings - $55
pitman arm - $20
zone extended sway bar links - $30

The 3in lift from IRO is $500 and ive heard its great, comes with everything you need, nothing you dont. Their 4in is $650 and comes with a few more things. The best part about their kits is that they give you an extended track bar, which you NEED.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW - 3in lift
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW - 4in lift

Im not try to hype up or sell their products but they make quality stuff and have terrific customer service...helped me with all of my questions.

My Build Thread
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

and rough countries shocks are total junk and i plan on getting rid of them soon in favor of skyjackers monotube shocks.

My Build Thread
Unread 05-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer66 View Post
So how much do you think you put in your lift? Cause I wanna do a 4 but I don't wanna have to change a lot of stuff besides the things that come with the kit.
This is not gonna happen at 4". If you want to avoid replacing a lot of stuff, stick to a 3" lift. At 4", you HAVE to replace a whole lot of stuff and it gets expensive to maintain. At 3" you can keep your factory control arms and driveshafts. At 4", you need at least uppers and/or lower adjustable control arms, most likely a new front drive shaft, its harder to align, more things to break, more things to keep greased, just a lot more work and money.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

I had the 4" x series kit for awhile. It was actually pretty decent for a bit and took some abuse. It was also a very complete kit for the money and came for everything you'll need. It was actually pretty comfortable too even with the RC2.2 shocks. However, after a 1.5 years I started replacing everything with IRO stuff and now some Clayton stuff. The RC trackbar was crap and I replaced it immediately with a JKS one. The control arm bushings were horribly loud and I had rebuilt them once already. The shocks showed their age too. I would start with the IRO kit instead.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

You can not lift a Wj to 4" and expect it to be cheap and reliable. I ended up replacing every component of my RCX lift kit except the coils and A-arm spacer. If you add the cost of everything I had to replace I would have been money ahead to buy a Clayton long arm or something similar.

It's not a install the lift and forget about it kind of thing either, it will need upkeep and parts will wear and need to be replaced to avoid death wobble. Unless you are going to wheel it you may be better off to stick with a 2-3" lift with quality shocks and components.

Along with the cost of replacing lift parts I had to get a new front drive shaft and run wheel spacers to allow clearance for the larger tires.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
fast540
1999 WJ 

I don't understand why anyone "had" to replace "every" lift component with iro parts after installing rcx ones. What broke? Joints are a wear item and I know you didn't damage the arms/links themselves and there is no magic in a track bar so what gives? I run a couple Rc arms and a couple made by someone else (dunno who) and the get beat on rocks logs dirt snow ect and often. My wj isn't a dd it's a trail rig that gets beat and I've broken parts but never a lift part. I grease all the zerts before every run and call it good. Does a custom linked susp work better? Yes but something like the rcx kit will give u years of service without issue as will iro or any other properly designed lift. Maintanence of any jeep is key and even more so as you add lifts,bigger tires , creek crossings, rubicon trips ect ect
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

My track bar joints were worn very badly, my control arm joints were worn and needed replaced. My disconnects made lots of noise and were sloppy. I maybe didn't have to replace them but my jeep is not a trail rig and the death wobble was terrible on the road. If your jeep is truly just a trail rig I'm sure you can get away with slightly worn parts.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
bmxer66
2000 WJ 

So if I. Did a 3 in I wouldn't have to replace anything besides the things that come in the kit?
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer66 View Post
So if I. Did a 3 in I wouldn't have to replace anything besides the things that come in the kit?
I'm theory but you never know what steering components could be bad

My Build Thread
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjinTopeka
My track bar joints were worn very badly, my control arm joints were worn and needed replaced. My disconnects made lots of noise and were sloppy. I maybe didn't have to replace them but my jeep is not a trail rig and the death wobble was terrible on the road. If your jeep is truly just a trail rig I'm sure you can get away with slightly worn parts.
No I cannot in any way condone running worn parts it's unsafe at the extreme and causes premature wear of other parts at minimum. Like I said joints are wear items, all joints, steering,control arm,track bar ect. Proper setup and lube will go a long way to prevent wear. But my mileage for last year was only 6k all trips wheeling or mountain biking but most of those miles are long freeway miles to and from different jeep runs and I won't tolerate rattles squeaks or any shimmy wobble or bad manners. I'm just saying any parts u chose to run must be setup correctly and maintained it just happens some of the parts I run are rcx and they,when properly setup and maintained, work really well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.