4" lift shocks for 3" lift - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
04beachwheeler
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 152
4" lift shocks for 3" lift

Friend of mine ordered Bilstein 5125s for his 4" long arm kit but decided to go higher...i bought them from him but i have a 3" lift. considering another one of my buddies is running 4" springs on his 3" lift without any problems i assumed it was fine. and considering i will most likely never reach the full limits of my suspension i didnt think i'd bottom out the shock. am i alright here?


04 WJ: 4.5' Clayton F, 4" IRO R, IRO adj front control arms, Ruffstuff OTK one ton tie rod, OBA.
04beachwheeler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,253
What are the extended and collapsed lengths or part numbers of the shocks you bought?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 AM
tufmar
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 391
For 3" of lift just make sure you dont exceed the following for your collapsed lenght : Front: 15.3" and rear: 15.6"

93 YJ - 4.0 2" BDS 1" BL 33's
98 ZJ - 5.2 Limited 2" BB 31's
02 WJ - 4.7 Laredo 242 TC 3" IRO 245/75's
tufmar is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
04beachwheeler
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 152
Got the part numbers for the shocks I bought. They are from IRO for a 4" lift but I've heard they will work for a 3" lift just fine. Here is the email IRO sent my friend from whom I bought the shocks from.

Name:  image-2872696909.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  239.6 KB

04 WJ: 4.5' Clayton F, 4" IRO R, IRO adj front control arms, Ruffstuff OTK one ton tie rod, OBA.
04beachwheeler is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
04beachwheeler
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
What are the extended and collapsed lengths or part numbers of the shocks you bought?
Are these shocks valved only for a wj with a 4" lift?? Will I run into problems if I don't go to 4"?

04 WJ: 4.5' Clayton F, 4" IRO R, IRO adj front control arms, Ruffstuff OTK one ton tie rod, OBA.
04beachwheeler is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,253
The 33-185606 is a universal loop/loop shock. No doubt IRO included adapters when he purchased them. He's including those with the shocks, correct?

The 33-185552 is also a universal shock. You'll need the correct WJ bushing sleeves so they don't clunk.

Extended and collapsed lengths are acceptable for your lift. The rear may be a little on the long side so check for adequate up-travel and extend the bumpstops if need be.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
04beachwheeler
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
The 33-185606 is a universal loop/loop shock. No doubt IRO included adapters when he purchased them. He's including those with the shocks, correct? The 33-185552 is also a universal shock. You'll need the correct WJ bushing sleeves so they don't clunk. Extended and collapsed lengths are acceptable for your lift. The rear may be a little on the long side so check for adequate up-travel and extend the bumpstops if need be.
IRO did include the adapter for the front shocks. There already also the correct metal sleeves in the bushings in the proper places. Since they are "universal" will they not necessarily be correctly valved for the wj? Or are these the same shocks you would ship out for the same application?

04 WJ: 4.5' Clayton F, 4" IRO R, IRO adj front control arms, Ruffstuff OTK one ton tie rod, OBA.
04beachwheeler is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,253
Those shocks are technically the 5125 series. They are 255/70 valved. The 5125 series has a 90 day warranty. I think you'll find that they perform and ride well, but if I were shipping you a set, I'd ship the 5100 series. These would not require the adapters up front, not require additional WJ bushing sleeves for the rear, have a lifetime warranty, and be specifically valved for the WJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beachwheeler View Post
IRO did include the adapter for the front shocks. There already also the correct metal sleeves in the bushings in the proper places. Since they are "universal" will they not necessarily be correctly valved for the wj? Or are these the same shocks you would ship out for the same application?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
04beachwheeler
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
Those shocks are technically the 5125 series. They are 255/70 valved. The 5125 series has a 90 day warranty. I think you'll find that they perform and ride well, but if I were shipping you a set, I'd ship the 5100 series. These would not require the adapters up front, not require additional WJ bushing sleeves for the rear, have a lifetime warranty, and be specifically valved for the WJ.
Alright thanks, just making sure these would fit on my jeep. I also had a question as to how they are mounted...front and rear both mounted with the words so they are right side up?

04 WJ: 4.5' Clayton F, 4" IRO R, IRO adj front control arms, Ruffstuff OTK one ton tie rod, OBA.
04beachwheeler is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,253
They will work either way but mount them with the shaft at the bottom if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beachwheeler View Post
Alright thanks, just making sure these would fit on my jeep. I also had a question as to how they are mounted...front and rear both mounted with the words so they are right side up?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome