4" Lift kit questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4" Lift kit questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
chargold98
2004 WJ 

Wj 4" Lift kit questions

MY question is about quality-price on the various 4" lifts.
Rusty's kit is $1200, IRO comparable kits are $900-$1539 and Rough Country is $750.
How is RC able to offer a kit with adj track bar and lower arms for close to $200 less than both Rusty's and IRO? Should one be concerned with the ride quality of the RC kit compared to the other mfgs? Even their "barebones" 4" kit is almost $200 cheaper than the similar IRO basic kit!

I had a ZJ and loved it with 31" Duratracs and IRO 2"bb but this time I want to go a bit more aggressive as I plan on doing more trail type stuff rather than just playing in some mud pits which are fun too! I just cant seem to wrap my head around why the RC kit is considerably less than the other kits.

I am probably going to wait for the black friday/cyber monday deals to do my lift and a set of GoodYear Duratracs since my WJ came with brand new tires from the dealership I'm not in a big hurry to get the heep lifted. Just want to have a good start to selecting the lift that should work for me!

chargold98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

IMO the parts RC uses are NOT great quality.

I dealt with this same question about 2 months ago and ended up getting the OME 3" HD lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks. I added the 10MM trim spacer and am very happy with the results. Rides great and is very stable on the road.
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
chargold98
2004 WJ 

What I though, a buddy of mine had a 6.5" kit on his 09 silverado and it rode like ****- could have been multiple reasons but its just left me with a bad feeling though. I may just keep an Eye on the Ito and rustys kits as it gets closer.
Are the critical path Iro arms significantly better than regular adjustable a?

Are
1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo (SOLD)
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Rusty's isnt much better and the generic white IRO shocks arent great either.

What are you looking to do? Wheel/street? Tire size? Scared of cutting sheet metal?

Lower lift is always cheaper and requires less mods. I opted to keep mine low and cut more sheet metal. Right now In on 3" lift and 32s. Plan is to get bigger tires eventually, but For now I didnt need to cut and the stock axles can handle the 32s. Gives me time to build the axles in preparation for the larger tires.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I have a 4" RC kit (the X-Series) and it was about $700 from a vendor here on JF. The ride is actually OK.. I'd say that it appears that RC has improved their shocks quite a bit from the reviews I've seen in the past. I was a little nervous about the price as well but most of it appears to be pretty good quality. I would agree that some of the other kits are probably better, but for the money it is not bad at all. Slightly stiffer than the stock shocks that were still on the Jeep with 134K, which is in line with what I expected. If I wanted it to drive like a Cadillac I would've bought one of those :-).

I put my kit on this spring and had to do a couple of things right away.
- Replace all TRE's (normal if they're worn).
- Replace upper rear Ball Joint (I was in there anyway and had been hearing a clunk for some time, turned out that was it),
- Replace (under warranty) the RC Steering Stabilizer I bought at the same time as the lift because it was leaking.
- Replace (under warranty) the Heim Joint on the RC Trackbar (it was slightly loose).
- Swap out (and rebuild) my driveshaft for one from a ZJ.

Overall I was pleased by RC and their willingness to work with me on replacing the parts. No problems there and the replacement parts always came within two business days of my call. The quality of the replacement parts was as good as or better than the ones I received in the kit so their QC seems to be working well too.

I'm still struggling with some minor DW, but I've never swapped out the upper CA bushings so getting ready to do that soon before the snow flies and hopefully that solves the issue for me.

If you're not looking to spend a ton, it's not a bad kit. The only thing that I don't like are the quick disconnects for the front sway bar. They're a little noisy at times but it's not enough of an annoyance that I've done anything about it. :-) It's also in line with what I expected.. they're quick disconnects, they're automatically going to be slightly nosier (I've even heard this complaint from the JKS folks).
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
chargold98
2004 WJ 

With the stiffer RC Springs, did it help with the body sway ( I know the addco bar will solve it, but not sure how much of a priority it will be- I can deal with the stock sway now). The jeep dealership around here uses RC stuff on a couple of the jeeps that they mod to sell, and I figured they wouldn't risk putting low quality stuff on a new vehicle and have to deal with the headaches if it doesnt work well.

Right now my wheeling experience has mainly been playing in mud pits and hard pack dirt. I am close to a couple "parks" and want to be sure I have little to no problems (flex, and clearance) to hang with a couple of my buddies and their fairly highly modified XJs ( I know there will probably be places I wont want to go due to difficulty and some terrain).

aestrad, I'd liek to run 31s or maybe 32s but I don't want to stuff the biggest tire I can find in there and lose flex and look kinda silly with too much tire. It's kind of tough to judge the whole set up. I do want to set myself up for lifting it more in the future, especially if I can get orders out west! Cutting doesnt bother me too much I know I can do it and it look good and then reseal all the joints and bare metal.

What has people done on the pinch welds/seams in the wheel wells? Is it mainly cutting it out and doing some welding and seam sealing, or bending it flat into the wheel well?
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

31s or 32s on 3 inch lift is perfect. It wont look silly and you will still get decent flex. Thats my current set up and I havent cut or trimmed yet. I plan on cutting later once I wear out the 32s

OME HD lift is generally considered higher quality than Rustys or RC
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I have the stock sway bars and it is different now. At some point I'll probably go to the Addco, but I'm doing fine for the time being.

I have 265-75-16 BFG AT TA's on my WJ (31.6" I believe) and just have a minimal amount of rubbing on the front bumper when backing out of my rough driveway at an angle. I'm not planning on doing anything about it at all.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
I have the stock sway bars and it is different now. At some point I'll probably go to the Addco, but I'm doing fine for the time being.

I have 265-75-16 BFG AT TA's on my WJ (31.6" I believe) and just have a minimal amount of rubbing on the front bumper when backing out of my rough driveway at an angle. I'm not planning on doing anything about it at all.
That is a monster tire unless you also have a 4" lift...

I just did a 2" (Well, 2 3/4" front 2" rear) lift and I'm planning on doing a 31 Al la Duratracs. It made a pretty significant difference in ride height and quality. Sure I spent 600 dollars and only went 2" but it's quality for me over quantity(more inches).

I want to be able to stuff my tires if necessary. Some of these guys that put big huge tires on short lifts aren't getting as much flex...

Just my opinion, of course.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie

That is a monster tire unless you also have a 4" lift...

I just did a 2" (Well, 2 3/4" front 2" rear) lift and I'm planning on doing a 31 Al la Duratracs. It made a pretty significant difference in ride height and quality. Sure I spent 600 dollars and only went 2" but it's quality for me over quantity(more inches).

I want to be able to stuff my tires if necessary. Some of these guys that put big huge tires on short lifts aren't getting as much flex...

Just my opinion, of course.
I do :-) look at my previous post.. 4" RC X-Series lift.
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post

I do :-) look at my previous post.. 4" RC X-Series lift.
Durrr... Sorry.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
tim0

2002 WJ 

I bought the RCX 4" lift last year and only major issue was the Track Bar.
Even new it had a lot of flex and the end joint began to rattle just 30 days after the install.

The springs are little weeker than I expected. With only 2 kids and a cooler it causes the rear to sag a couple inches.

The shocks allow the wheels to bounce a lot on dirt roads. Its very easy to lose control when this happens.
This keeps me under 30 mph, but I dont need to go that fast on dirt roads anyway.

Even though this is a short arm kit the arms are very strong.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
UTWJ2000

I also bought the rc 4"lift. Same track bar issue flexes, and.ended up replacing the upper knuckle. I ended up running bfg km2 235 75 r16 end up being 31.8 tall but only nine wide.but they flex up into my wheel wells giving me plenty of play. I did lose my windshield washer fluid reservoir due to some extreme flexing and did some minor trimming to to front bumper with a exacto knife.
UTWJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1
31s or 32s on 3 inch lift is perfect. It wont look silly and you will still get decent flex. Thats my current set up and I havent cut or trimmed yet. I plan on cutting later once I wear out the 32s

OME HD lift is generally considered higher quality than Rustys or RC
I'm on 32" and needed to trim a lot to wheel disco'd without rubbing just FYI and I'm on 4.75 fr and 4" rear lift. I'm running the Rc x series lift and have been pleased on and off road. This isn't my dd but we drive all over California to different trails and I'm always out there on the smallest tires and always make it problem free. My Rc arms have been beaten on rocks logs mud and everything else Cali has to offer without fail. Is there better lifts sure but my Rc lift is great
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
fast540
1999 WJ 

And the poser flex shot

image-1704552934.jpg
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.