4.7l won't crank over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7l won't crank over

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Whayewkno

4.7l won't crank over

Hi guys I just bought a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee 4.7l v8 with 110k
The car been sitting for about a year I bought it off a friend and it needs a head gasket. I connected a brand new battery to the car and went to turn it over and it made a clicking sound. As if the starter was tryn to turn the crank but couldn't so I thouvht maybe the crank was frozen and the engine was shot. But I realized the battery wires were not in the best of shape so I took them off and cleaned them by brushing them off. Then I reconnected them and the car now cranks but won't fully turn over. It sounds like it wants to turn over but isn't getting full juice to turn over. I think it may just be the ground wire. But I want to hear your guys opinion. And what you guys may think the problem is

Thanks

Whayewkno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
oldfamilyguy

Take off the serpentine belt and see that all the accessories spin freely. Something may be seized from sitting. Don't laugh it can happen. I bought one once for dirt cheap because the engine was "seized". Well it was just the alternator had rusted/frozen inside. Better yet, didn't even need a new alternator. I was able to clean it up inside and good to go. If they all spin free, then pull the plugs and try to spin it from the crank. If its impossible or hard to move then you have trouble inside. If it turns easy then its battery, cable, connection, starter related. Hope you get lucky, and yes it can happen, just not often enough.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.