4.7L V8 stroker!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7L V8 stroker!!!

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Wj 4.7L V8 stroker!!!

I know the 4.0L can be stroked out, but is there a particular reason why I cannot find anything on a stroker kit or a thread for stroking out the 4.7L V8? It seems like it would have been done by now if it could be.

If it can be done, what would the new displacement be and what are some numbers this mythical stroked v8 could produce???

mdrum93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

You would also think that someone would make non aluminum heads.....

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner23 View Post
You would also think that someone would make non aluminum heads.....

And why not go back to acetylene lamps for lights and cart springs for suspension......only joking.

No need to go back to steel heads.....just make the ally ones correctly in the first place. Just about every other manufacturer in the world has managed it ok!
They seem to last ok for most people....as long as you dont overheat them.
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Yes but I've also seen people on here grenade the 4.7 in the winter without overheating. For peace of mind ill take the steel heads. Because obviously it was an issue that they didn't want to correct in all the years, makes, and models the 4.7 was alive.

Im not saying I don't take care of my jeep but there have been several people who its happened to who have claimed they baby their wj. Im also friends on facebook with a local jeep only shop and I see once a month they post a pic of a dropped seat valve. And they are replacing it with a jasper, atk, etc.

Unread 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Yes but I've also seen people on here grenade the 4.7 in the winter without overheating. For peace of mind ill take the steel heads. Because obviously it was an issue that they didn't want to correct in all the years, makes, and models the 4.7 was alive.

Im not saying I don't take care of my jeep but there have been several people who its happened to who have claimed they baby their wj. Im also friends on facebook with a local jeep only shop and I see once a month they post a pic of a dropped seat valve. And they are replacing it with a jasper, atk, etc.

I would not mind betting that a high percentage of those have been overheated at some point.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post

I would not mind betting that a high percentage of those have been overheated at some point.
Oh no doubt, also probably not running the correct coolant.

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Would it be possible to make cast iron heads using the aluminum heads as a model? Seems like you could take the bare alum head and make a sand mold with it and then pour cast iron into it, and then have them professionally planed and machined/cleaned up to specification

I know it would be a lot more complicated than that, but if you have experience with casting metal from sand molds, would it be worth the effort?

For Sale: Rear D44a open for WJ
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Im sure if u sent the aluminum ones edelbrock and they might be able to make some but it would probably cost a lot.

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
multmigs
2003 WJ 

why would edelbrock or anyone else bother to make a cast iron head? Try to find a single performance engine that runs better with that versus either a factory alum head or an aftermarket company's version, YOU CAN'T..... These Mopar 4.7 heads were clearly a bad design from day one, and the engine rebuilding companies all know this which is why they clearly state in all their ads that they have an improved version with the valve seat issue addressed. Its not like this stuff never happens elsewhere, the early Hemi V8 2005/06 has almost the same exact story. Again its bad initial engineering it seems and nothing to do with the material choice. How do you explain the notorious cracked CAST IRON 4.0 cylinder heads that were found in 2000/01 XJ/TJ vehicles if that material is so great? How many people had a entire motor replaced thanks to coolant in the oil on those?? Whats next you would rather have a non plastic intake manifold made up to resist cracking?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
Whats next you would rather have a non plastic intake manifold made up to resist cracking?
Actually I would! But they cost too much.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
rcwj04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs
why would edelbrock or anyone else bother to make a cast iron head? Try to find a single performance engine that runs better with that versus either a factory alum head or an aftermarket company's version, YOU CAN'T..... These Mopar 4.7 heads were clearly a bad design from day one, and the engine rebuilding companies all know this which is why they clearly state in all their ads that they have an improved version with the valve seat issue addressed. Its not like this stuff never happens elsewhere, the early Hemi V8 2005/06 has almost the same exact story. Again its bad initial engineering it seems and nothing to do with the material choice. How do you explain the notorious cracked CAST IRON 4.0 cylinder heads that were found in 2000/01 XJ/TJ vehicles if that material is so great? How many people had a entire motor replaced thanks to coolant in the oil on those?? Whats next you would rather have a non plastic intake manifold made up to resist cracking?
They only want a iron head to save the engine if it is to overheat, aluminum heads have a lower melting temp than the iron block. They are not doing it for performance

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post

They only want a iron head to save the engine if it is to overheat, aluminum heads have a lower melting temp than the iron block. They are not doing it for performance
Yeah I could care less about performance. I know that jeep went with aluminum because of the performance. Doesn't change the fact that it warps when over heated. Steel/cast iron won't do that. Id sacrifice a little performance for peace of mind. But hey maybe that's just me. I mean I know I don't have 2700 dollars laying around for an engine.

Also plastic intake manifolds are cheaper to replace then an engine....... So chill

Unread 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
multmigs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah I could care less about performance. I know that jeep went with aluminum because of the performance. Doesn't change the fact that it warps when over heated. Steel/cast iron won't do that. Id sacrifice a little performance for peace of mind. But hey maybe that's just me. I mean I know I don't have 2700 dollars laying around for an engine.

Also plastic intake manifolds are cheaper to replace then an engine....... So chill

I really don't think anyone understands your last statement at all, what kind of intake manifold would not be cheaper to change THAN (SP) an entire engine?
That nonsense disregarded if this is your opinion why do you bother ranting about stuff like this on a thread that is questioning performance, specifically wanting more performance? How bout keeping your non technically correct answers limited to someone asking something in that same area, like how to cheaply fix something....
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Why so hostile? But seriously i really like the composite intake manifold because it doesnt conduct as much heat and weighs probably 30 pounds less than a metal version of it.

It may not be as appealing to see plastic on an engine but i like it.

But this thread has gotten way off topic!!

For Sale: Rear D44a open for WJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.