4.7L Seized? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7L Seized?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Seesaw

4.7L Seized?

So while driving to work today my WJ quit and rolled to a stop. Mechanic says the engine is seized - can't get it to turn with a breaker bar. No evidence of what may have caused it. I've had it for 8 years and had no trouble, never overheated, oil level was fine, no metal shavings, nothing. New engine or might there be some known issue with a less expensive fix?

Seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Miles, maintenance, oil used, what does a borescope show? If a cylinder was hydrolocked, which one?

If a valve seat dropped, it should show with a borescope too. A post-mortem might not be tops in your agenda...however.

Now what to do... a re-man will be $3500 or so but may not include labor.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Seesaw

145,000 miles. 4wd. Selec trac. I was very regular with scheduled and recommended maintenance. Mechanic changed the oil so I am not sure the brand or weight. I don't believe a bore scope was used and not aware or any hydro locked cylinders. Mechanic quoted remanufactured engine at 4k and labor 2k. Related parts like water pump, gaskets and plugs another 500. I guess I was hoping there might be some known issue that would lead us to a solution other than a new engine. Not sure it's worth the cost.
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It's not unless you just like it enough to put 6k into it and risk other things breaking after. . Would sure be nice to know what happened though.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

So I assume cranking with the starter is a no go? If he was attempting to turn the engine with a breaker bar, make sure he had the transmission and transfercase in neutral.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
PackLifeNC
2001 WJ 

I had my wj seize two weeks after I bought it from the dealership. It had 85k on it and I ended spending 5300 for a replacement.
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
So I assume cranking with the starter is a no go? If he was attempting to turn the engine with a breaker bar, make sure he had the transmission and transfercase in neutral.
Not a bad idea to check. Heck a second opinion might be worth it since it's a total loss potential.

What is being certain worth these days?
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Not a bad idea to check. Heck a second opinion might be worth it since it's a total loss potential.

What is being certain worth these days?
Exactly.

I know the 4.7 is far from a perfect motor, and they can have their fair share of mehcanical issues. However they usually don't just up and die or seize up without some form of warning or neglect.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesaw View Post
Mechanic changed the oil so I am not sure the brand or weight. .
make sure he didn't screw anything up with that...
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
gdp
2001 WJ 

I just bought an 04 JGC with 124k miles and seized motor. the oil was molasses and one connecting rod was snapped. getting a used motor with 91K miles for $1500
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Seesaw

Ok, the postmortem: rod bearing went bad for some reason and the rod/bearing ended up "welded" to the crank. My wallet is a bit lighter but with a replacement engine I'm up and running again.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Ok, the postmortem: rod bearing went bad for some reason and the rod/bearing ended up "welded" to the crank. My wallet is a bit lighter but with a replacement engine I'm up and running again.
Hate to hear you had to go through all that, but glad you didn't off load it to a junkyard, way to keep it on the road!
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

what the cost of the engine and install? tks
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Seesaw

4500 for the engine. 2200 labor.
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
4500 for the engine. 2200 labor.
Now that's a sign of true love

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.