4.7L OH Cam Sprocket Removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
jfyfe
2001 WJ 

4.7L OH Cam Sprocket Removal

I'm in the midst of a head gasket replacement on my '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've done a few head gasket replacements before but this is my first experience with an overhead cam engine. Working through the Haynes manual and it describes a way to remove the heads without taking the camshaft off of the head, which is the way I am persuing it, but I'm at the step of removing the camshaft sproket and getting a little queasy.

First question - Anyone know where I can pick up the special timing chain tensioner wedge tool? AutoZone indicates it as Special Tool 8379 but they don't appear to carry it.

Next question - How easy should the gear come off of the camshaft? It appears that it's going to take some effort to get it off, but there doesn't appear to be anyplace to pry it or to use a puller.

Last question - Do I need to take off all three timing chains to do this job? It looks like I can take the sprocket off of the camshafts and hopefully put them back on without losing the secondary chains, thereby not having to touch the primary timing chain but the manual isn't real clear on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

bump because i too am in the midst of doing this aswell!

Built Beater 01 WJ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swapped, SUPERCHARGED Locked, Lifted and Long Armed.
02 Cummins. It has a smoking problem, And it wont quit.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Turbonut

Never done one, but maybe this will help:
http://www.dodgeram.ru/files/cam.pdf

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
jfyfe
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the info Turbonut. Looks pretty clear that I don't need to take off all three timing chains.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 02:07 PM
jmason522

Can anyone help out with the above questions? The link provided no longer goes to a good domain.
I'm replacing my head gaskets and I understand I need to remove the cam sprockets. Despite using a torque wrench and and trying to keep the cam in place, the bolt will not budge. I'm worried I'll move the cam too much if I keep going. Where can I find the special tool to help get this off?
Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

In the time since this thread was shiny and new the Grand Cherokee forum has been split into individual forums for the different models (ZJ, WJ, WK, WK2). Unfortunately all the old posts are still in the ZJ forum.

You will get better help for you WJ (1999-2004 Grand Cherokee) by posting in the forum for that model: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/

I've asked a moderator to move this thread in the mean time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Zip that bolt off with an impact. That's how I do it, and haven't ran in to any problems.

2000 Solar Yellow TJ
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Volvo S40
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2017, 01:58 PM
wolf_7669
1999 WJ 

The only problem with doing it without taking the chains off is there is no guarantee that the chain tensioners will not ratchet out on you and there is no way to retract them without removing them. I bit the bullet and removed the timing cover and chains just to be sure all went well. All you need is for one wedge to move on you and you'll be pulling the timing cover anyway.

I just used a breaker bar to loosten the cam sproket bolts. If you turn the bolt fast enough the engine compression will provide enough resistance to loosen the bolt. Just remember to align your timing marks before removing the timing cover or the cam sprokets if you do the wedge thing. It will make your life much easier if your chains slip off the idler sprocket like mine did to me.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_7669 View Post
The only problem with doing it without taking the chains off is there is no guarantee that the chain tensioners will not ratchet out on you and there is no way to retract them without removing them. I bit the bullet and removed the timing cover and chains just to be sure all went well. All you need is for one wedge to move on you and you'll be pulling the timing cover anyway.

I just used a breaker bar to loosten the cam sproket bolts. If you turn the bolt fast enough the engine compression will provide enough resistance to loosen the bolt. Just remember to align your timing marks before removing the timing cover or the cam sprokets if you do the wedge thing. It will make your life much easier if your chains slip off the idler sprocket like mine did to me.
You can retract the tensioners by turning the screw to the left a quarter turn. It releases the latch for the ratcheting tensioning arm. Then depress and stick a small gauge wire in the hole.

I set everything to TDC, then I'll pull the sprocket from the cam that I'm going work on. If you're only doing one side, forget trying to get the timing marks on the chains lined up, it just won't happen. Line the crank sprocket with the dot to the bottom, and the idler sprocket with the dot to the top. Ensure both V8s on the cam sprockets are at the twelve o'clock. On reassembly, line up the chain timing marks, the single blue chain mark goes on the R or L depending on the side you're working on, (passenger=R , driver=L) and the double blue timing chain marks should be visible through the window on the idler sprocket. Ensure both are visible, it's easy to be a tooth or two off.

2000 Solar Yellow TJ
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Volvo S40
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.