4.7L Crankcase breather question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7L Crankcase breather question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
jkelley429
2001 WJ 

Wj 4.7L Crankcase breather question

Several months ago I had a local mechanic replace the valve covers on my engine.
It seemed to run fine since then, but today as I was replacing the spark plugs I bumped the drivers side crankcase breather that threads into the cylinder head and broke it. Apparently the mechanic had broken it and decided to super glue it back on instead of telling me it broke.

My question is, will it affect anything being disconnected until I can get it fixed? Also, are there any alternatives to fix it such as putting an individual breather on it? Its only $15 for the part but if I can put an individual breather on I would rather just do that.

I tried searching but all the threads for ccv were for the 4.0.

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
jkelley429
2001 WJ 

Come on guys, 89 views and no replies?
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
01ShowMeWJ
2001 WJ 

I haven't seen mine in awhile but I'm sure you can replace it with a aftermarket cone filter. I've done it before on a Dodge pickup V6. They sell them in the same section as the cold air intake kits. It was a direct filter and got rid of all the tubing involved with it. Your WJ shouldn't run bad with it off it just may spit a little oil in your engine compartment. You could always tape a rag over it to keep debris out.
01ShowMeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Got picture? I can't picture mine but I think a JY visit would do the trick, right?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
jkelley429
2001 WJ 

I found the factory replacement that threads into the head on ebay for $20. It comes with driver and passenger side. I will probably do cone filters on the replacements.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.