4.7 (NOT HO) WJ #2 Piston Damage Opinion Needed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 (NOT HO) WJ #2 Piston Damage Opinion Needed

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Yeah I'm going to be buying all new sensors too. Denso are what the sell from dealer? How much on amazon?

Unread 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
MikesBean
2002 WJ 

Just updated last post: Went to look at orders on Amazon: $31-33 each or so Delivered with my Amazon Prime Account.... That place sells everything!!! I always check first there to see what is going on...
Hope this helps folks!
MikesBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Krom

FWIW rock auto is almost always significantly cheaper than amazon (even with prime free shipping) the denso sensors are 21-24 on rock auto, and a quick search will find a 5% discount code at RA)
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I've seen worse condition pistons before on a Mustang I used to drive. Timing chain broke and all of the piston heads had nice intake valve notches in them, much worse than your one piston. I put new heads on and never had a problem. I agree, you're lucky.
My vote is to put new head(s) on and run it until she stops. Good luck.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
MikesBean
2002 WJ 

Good stuff guys!

Krom: Yes to Rock Auto!!! I just keep forgetting to look there...I am now putting all the bolts, gaskets, etc. in my cart there....They beat Auto Zone real good on those Fel-Pro gaskets etc...

Also thanks 99WJ..... I had another handy mechanic guy just now look at it....He said the same thing......
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
jjuans

4.7 seat dropped also

great post, just found the same identical issue and was wondering about the piston replacement. guess i'll go with another head and clean cylinder up.
jjuans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
multmigs
2003 WJ 

Is anyone keeping track of how many people have this same issue with 4.7v8 and at what miles etc... there should really be a poll type thread for this problem if for nothing else just to make you realize your not alone...
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
MikesBean
2002 WJ 

jjuans On piston replacement....The overall advice online and offline (local) mechanics etc. is to clean it up a little ( the piston gash ) very lightly on the sharp edges up with '000' steel wool, maybe use double sided tape ( Ace Hardware ) put a strip in there on the bottom edge downhill side to where any sanding from the steel wool on those edges would stick and not get into the rings or cylinder then vacuum it out also after removing the tape.

Parts Note: All the gaskets, head bolts, just came in today from Rock Auto. Just ordered from them and got the Fel-Pro brand. Seems to be the best recommended and way less than AutoZone.
I guess I will order the complete right head from Odessa on ebay. $390 delivered. This is a new cast head never used. They build it up after that. Their feedback is stellar 7,000+

No one in Western NC can fix these valve seat problems. I would have to send it far away to get the seat fixed and probably cost the same or more.

Special Note: My mechanic was thinking he could use the same head bolts when we put it back together.....Don't even think about it....for all the trouble and expense get those new bolts....14 in one side...10 Long and 4 Short ones.

multmigs: Good idea! There is no telling how many of these 4.7 V8's are out there and how many may have had these issues!

At 125K on mine it was running great before this valve seat dropped down. I love how fast and quick this Jeep moved out and that V8 ROAR....FAST! Tows Great too!

SPECIAL NOTE: Got a recall on the AIRBAG Module a few days ago: 2002 Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7. They will put you in one that bypasses the front bumper sensors which is now used in later models!
I had an AIRBAG light on and had to buy one about a year ago (PAMS Auto/ ebay I believe ) and put in in myself under the console between the seats. Either a sensor in the bumper or the module itself was bad....so just got the new module which is on the TSB...problem solved.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.