4.7 left us stranded on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 left us stranded on highway

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
outbackmatt

4.7 wj stranded on highway

We were heading to pick up a new garage door and 45 miles down the highway suddenly the jeep's engine lost power and started shaking. Even floored it just came to a crawl. When I pulled over the engine stalled out. I cranked it over and it struggled to start but fired up eventually. It sounded bad the idle was weak, irratic and no power at all so we had to call a tow truck.

There is not much on this jeep that hasnt been replaced in the past year. What would cause this problem?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
BlueJc
2002 WJ 

This will be a process of elimination.....Is there any engine check lights?
Do you have pressure in the fuel rail? Check by pressing the valve on the fuel rail, when its depressed fuel should psssss out. If not turn your key to the very last position before starting the crank. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE) do this 3 0r 4 time then recheck for fuel pressure. I there is still no pressure then your fuel pump could be dead. by turning the key to the last position before the crank/start position you will prime the fuel line. If you listen carefully you can hear the pump kick in for about two seconds each time the key is turned. If the pressure is there and you can hear the pump then this is ruled out of the investigation.
BlueJc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Anwatz1333
2000 WJ 

Check your cam and crank sensors..
Anwatz1333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

Here's how I typically determine where to start:

Suddenly dies with zero warning - start with ignition.

Slowly loses power, then dies - start with fuel.

With what you describe, it sounds like it went fuel starved to me. I'd check the fuel rail service port on the right (passenger) side of the fuel injection supply rail first. Take the cap off, and push the valve in with a small screwdriver or fingernail. You should get a decent gush. Some cars I have done that to, including my ZJ, I have found the place to start when thing pretty much exhaled air, LOL.

Tim
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
outbackmatt

My mechanic called and said it jumped time and warped the valves on one side. This was a new engine I spent over $4000 on from http://www.powertrainproducts.net/ that is less than 1 year old and 5,000 miles.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Valor
1999 WJ 

Ouch. Did this new engine come with any warranty? I would call up that company ASAP, becuase usually timing chains for both the I6 and V8 don't have catastrophic failures.

I find it odd that the timing chain would do that. Was it making any noise before? Usually they last the life of the vehicle, but I suppose there are always exceptions.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
DustinWJ
1999 WJ 

Does it have a warranty?
DustinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
outbackmatt

The engine is supposed to have a 4 year warranty, but when you read all the fine print they might find a way out of covering it. Right after install the rear main seal started leaking and I was going to have the warranty cover it, however, it looked like a big legal hassle so I ended up paying for the repairs out of pocket.

I will contact the engine company monday and see what they can do. My mechanic suggested they should replace the entire engine with the problems it's had in such a short time. I did everything possible to protect this engine. It was installed by an ASE certified mechanic for $1400 and I bought Powertrain Product's installation kit with the engine which includes all filters, plug wires, radiotor cap, hoses, thermostat and water pump. I also installed a new radiator. I dont know anything could have been done to prevent the timing to jump other than it was a faulty part from the engine company.

There was a clicking noise coming from the driver side that started about 10 mins before the engine got weak. This also happend a couple weeks ago but the noise went away until yesterday.
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
losttech

2000 WJ 

Man if they dont warranty that engine I would at least take them to small claims court that way you can bypass a lawyer and the fees.
I know it varies state by state but small claims is usally like a $100 bucks to file a claim well worth it to get your money back.
They might just pay it then to save them the hassle but do not let them off the hook that is pathetic if they give you any crap over this.

Some info on court in georgia for this type of thing.
http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...gistrate-court
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Faulty engine. Obviously you shouldn't have catastrophic engine failure within 5000 miles. Lawyer up asap. Or at least sound like you are.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
outbackmatt

I'll call monday and give them a chance to make it right. The company is a member of the BBB and seem reputabile. Hopefully they do the right thing.
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

So what happened?
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
My mechanic called and said it jumped time and warped the valves on one side.
Sounds like a faulty chain tensioner, a $40 part. Too bad the motor is not non-interference. Failed chain would not mean failed motor. Usually, having a chain is a major benefit to having a timing belt.
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
outbackmatt

I've faxed in the paper work and so far the company sound like they will be cooperative although moving at a snails pace. Not having my only vehicle for possibly over a month is being major pain in the butt.

I was at the shop yesterday and he showed me where the timing chain on the driver side fell off. Is it likely damage was done to the engine or could he put a new timing chain on and see if it runs? As long as the motor wasnt damaged I just want to get it running again in the least amount of time.
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
losttech

2000 WJ 

Man that sucks.

I dont think I would mess with it anymore until the warranty goes through it relly sounds like they are looking for ways to not honor it hoping youll get tired of waiting and just fix it or something like that.
Have you talked yo your insurance company and see if they can do anything as far as a car rental or something like that.

I didnt even know my insurance would pay for a new windsheild until I called them after some kids shot it with a pellet gun.

Just throwing out options to try an help you.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.