4.7 HO upper radiator hose supposed to be hard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 HO upper radiator hose supposed to be hard?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscJeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
98 platinum

Wj 4.7 HO upper radiator hose supposed to be hard?

Just purchased a clean 2004 Overland WJ with 174K highway miles. Prior owner was an engineer for Chrysler and owned it since it rolled off the assembly line. I noticed when doing an inspection under the hood that the upper radiator hose is quite hard and hot the lower hose is just lukewarm as well as the radiator cap. Engine does NOT overheat and temp gauge is always at line just before the halfway mark. It is the 4.7 HO engine, is this normal for this engine?

Jeff

98 platinum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
98 platinum

Wj

Can anyone with a regular 4.7 check their upper radiator hose after driving for 15+ mins and see if it is hard and hot? Just trying to get a comparison. Thanks!
Unread 02-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
wsigo
2002 WJ 

Hard hot upper hose after driving- normal.

Lower hose not quite as hot as upper- also normal.
Unread 02-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
MadderThanMax

Can you video it please with you trying to squish it? Not being funny but it lets us see how hard you refer too. I had both sides if the coin.. on another vehicle the head gasket was done and the hose went really soft when on temp and in the Jeep my top hose is firm but not hard.. so you understand why the video - if you chose to show this please look at the clamp ends. There's supposed to be a certain amount of compliance on the hose when at temp..
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
98 platinum

I should say it is firm, not rock hard. I will get a video posted later today or tomorrow. Thanks!
Unread 02-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I have two 4.7 WJ's and in my opinion that is perfectly normal.
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
MadderThanMax

^ That's why I asked for the video..
Unread 02-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Normal. It's got a 18psi cap.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #9
98 platinum

Here is a link to the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4yeaXcXIg

I am pressing on it pretty good. Just curious as to why the upper hose is so hot, yet the radiator cap is cold and bottom hose is lukewarm. But if it's normal I will drive on! Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff
Unread Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Agreed. I have an HO & non-HO. That's normal for both.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:34 AM   #11
MadderThanMax

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that it helps immensely and the good news is that its what everyone else has said, its normal. The bad is that at some point when your flush, the hoses do need replacing at some point as they're shiney and slightly bulged at the jubilee clips.. meaning that they are weak and will benefit from replacement before an overheat happens..and we all know what happens then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.