4.7 HO overheating and rough idle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 HO overheating and rough idle

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 09-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #16
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes
I rebuilt the top end. Had the heads decked .010, basic valve job, new gaskets, new water pump, some hoses, belt, etc. It's running fine, but seems to be running just a bit hot - hasn't really gotten over the 210 mark (maybe slightly), and seems to hold there even when left idling for some time. On the freeway, it's solidly below 210 - probably right on the 195 mark for the thermostat. But I'm not entirely sure that it's cooling properly. After the initial 2 hour drive home from the rebuild, it seems to have taken a bit more coolant from the reservoir. Concerned that I still have some problems here.
It will take about three drive cycles to stop pulling coolant from the tank.

Both my and Grammys 2004 4.7's run at or just below 210. Always........winter and summer. Driving or idling.

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

Good to know.

I just don't recall what temp it ran at prior to this. Should post a poll...
Knoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes
Good to know. I just don't recall what temp it ran at prior to this. Should post a poll...
You only start to OT attention to something after the fact. Its human nature.

Do some spirited acceleration to push any air trapped in the heater core to the rad. You may hear the air in the glove box sound for a little while till its all away.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.