4.7 HO overheating and rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 HO overheating and rough idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

4.7 HO overheating and rough idle

I have a 2004 Limited with about 110K miles. I've had it for about 3 years and 40K miles, with no overheating issues.

Started overheating after towing the boat (3K lbs) for about 3.5 hours last weekend. I caught it before it got too hot and was able to bring it back down with the heater.
Ran ok most of this week, even towing short distances, but started idling roughly over the last couple of days. And started running hot again in traffic (without the boat) today. The reservoir looked a bit low, and I have been able to add about a gallon of distilled water split evenly between the reservoir and directly into the radiator. The top hose is soft when it's cold. No foaming around the oil filler. And no clear signs of leaking. The fan seems to be operating properly, but it's hard to tell for certain. I think that I've heard some gurgling sounds from the heater core, but I'm not positive about that.

Any ideas before I take it into the out-of-town dealer tomorrow?

Knoxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
OregonOverland
2002 WJ 

Short of diagnostics, you can try a computer reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
I have a 2004 Limited with about 110K miles. I've had it for about 3 years and 40K miles, with no overheating issues.

Started overheating after towing the boat (3K lbs) for about 3.5 hours last weekend. I caught it before it got too hot and was able to bring it back down with the heater.
Ran ok most of this week, even towing short distances, but started idling roughly over the last couple of days. And started running hot again in traffic (without the boat) today. The reservoir looked a bit low, and I have been able to add about a gallon of distilled water split evenly between the reservoir and directly into the radiator. The top hose is soft when it's cold. No foaming around the oil filler. And no clear signs of leaking. The fan seems to be operating properly, but it's hard to tell for certain. I think that I've heard some gurgling sounds from the heater core, but I'm not positive about that.

Any ideas before I take it into the out-of-town dealer tomorrow?
Did you get any codes? You might try disconnecting the negative battery cable, but then it would erase any codes helpful to the techs.

-Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson
OregonOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Check passenger floor for wetness. If you have a radiator pressure tester that would expose a leak. Pull all of your plugs. I just had one in I serviced for overheating and it came down to a broken spark plug because the diy'er put two wrong plugs in.
Also I would add coolant not just water as the 4.7s are very sensitive to heat.

If you have a compression tester that would expose a blown head gasket.

Tools would be under 100 which is one hr of labor at a dealer so savings is dramatic in comparison to get the tools and test yourself.
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

Not getting any CELs. And the passenger floor is dry.
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

Pull the plugs check for coolant on plugs also go to autozone and rent a test kit to see if you have exhaust gas mixing with your coolant. If you have any of these it's means you have a bad head gasket or a crack head. More likely a bad gasket. Also don't overheat our let it even get to hot or you will wrap your heads and they don't have a lot of tolerance so they really can't be machined.
capthowdy575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

It just threw a Cylinder 1 misfire on the way to the dealer. It's in their hands for now...
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

By threw a cylinder you mean it came out the block our the cylinder started to knock. Also if you want to sell it let me know
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

threw a Cylinder 1 misfire=Check engine light
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

Usually when people say threw a cylinder it's means that the actually cylinder is off the crank our bad journal bearings. The misfire is probably due to coolant fouling your plugs
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had a similar issue lately with an unsolvable one: rough idle, loss of power, overheating, etc. Turned out to be the catalytic converter. It wasn't showing a code for it cuz the vehicle wasn't running.
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

To check the cats start the car and take a temp prob and read both cats at normal operating temp check the fsm to see which they should be
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

The dealer has been pretty good so far. Their communication and methodology seems pretty solid. We both think that the water pump was replaced at some point by the PO. It's possible that the thermostat is bad, but I think that's unlikely because it does eventually cool down when you crank the heat on or get moving.

They are going to do a dye test now to see if any gas is getting into the coolant. That ought to be a pretty definitive test.

I had considered the cats, but I think it's unlikely to have caused the misfire. And it runs solid once the rpms gain above the idle.

Actually just occurred to me that we didn't talk about pressure testing the system. Just left them a message about that.
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

Well I hope for the easiest and cheapest fix
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

It's the head gasket. Fuel in the coolant.

Estimate is $1300 if it's just the gaskets. If the heads are warped, it's $900 for one side and $1300 for the other. They are mulling over an offer for it as is, but I'm expecting a low ball. I could tow it home and have a go at it myself. Not sure how difficult it is or what those costs look like.
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

I rebuilt the top end. Had the heads decked .010, basic valve job, new gaskets, new water pump, some hoses, belt, etc. It's running fine, but seems to be running just a bit hot - hasn't really gotten over the 210 mark (maybe slightly), and seems to hold there even when left idling for some time. On the freeway, it's solidly below 210 - probably right on the 195 mark for the thermostat. But I'm not entirely sure that it's cooling properly. After the initial 2 hour drive home from the rebuild, it seems to have taken a bit more coolant from the reservoir. Concerned that I still have some problems here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.