4.7 HO oil pressure drop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 HO oil pressure drop

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

4.7 HO oil pressure drop

My wife's DD, a 2004 4.7L HO apparently had a couple of oil pressure drops in the last couple of days - enough to set off the warning. In both cases, it sounds like the engine was at temp, and she was at idle. Both times, more rpms brought it back up. The first time, I checked the level and it was definitely low (slow leak - on my list of things to fix). I'm running organic Rotella 10/30 in it right now. It has ~100K on it, and I've had it for the last 40K.

I did a quick search to see if there was a recurring issue, but didn't find anything. Hoping this is just a bad sensor... any other ideas?

Knoxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Most likely its the sending unit, but to be sure I'd verefy the pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

It's pretty common for the sensor to fail, replace with a Mopar Sensor. Parts store ones seem to fail again after a year or two.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

Yeah, apparently my search was limited due to the wrong vernacular. "Sending unit" returns a ton of hits. Thanks for the replies and that little hint.
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

PITA to remove. First, it's gotta be almost impossible without the dedicated sensor socket. The sensor measures in between 1" and 1 1/16" or right between 26 and 27MM. None of those will work. So you're left with pliers or the right tool (sensor socket). Picked one up from Advance for around $12. I also picked up a new filter because the sensor seemed so much easier to get at once the filter is removed. Of course, it looks like I broke the connector. I pulled the red pin out to the side, then slid a thin flat head screwdriver under the clip from back to front. It took some pressure to release, but after that, you're home free (assuming that you have that socket).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.