4.7 HO oil leak/evap code that started at the same time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 HO oil leak/evap code that started at the same time?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
OoteR

4.7 HO oil leak/evap code that started at the same time?

Here's the deal:

I've lurked here for a long time, but haven't had a reason to post until now. I appear to have 2 issues..

1:
I've got an 04 with the 4.7 HO that seems to have sprung a leak -- that may have stopped? After starting from cold to move into the street to snowblow - I left and my wife called to tell me that where the jeep sat after moving there was a leak of some sort.

I thought it was brake fluid - it appeared to be yellow and near the passenger side brakeline. (I changed the oil to mobile 1 800 miles or so ago at most, so the engine oil is still pretty clean) Upon further inspection it seems to have come from higher up on that side. It seems to be dripping onto the muffler now and smoking a little. The starter etc seemed to have quite a bit of oil on them (as did the brake line and the electrical (abs sensor?) on that side against the 'frame.'

Any ideas? all 3 ends of the breather hose are shot and need replacing, but I can't seem to find anything else leaking that I can see without a lift. The brakes seem fine... fluid isn't moving. To that effect, the engine oil is currently good as well. It seems unlikely that the breather hose would kick out that much oil - and it doesn't seem wet enough on top compared to what I see down on the rail/ypipe/starter/etc.

2:
Large evap leak showed up at the same time. I didn't think they were connected but they could be. My wife actually had thought it was my car that was leaking (they were parked near eachother.) I drive the car DD, she the wj. I was PO'd that my car was leaking - but she told me that night that there as an engine code on the WJ. It's a large evap leak.. annnnd my car isn't the one leaking.. Could the two be related? I've read that there is lots of rubber to check for the evap leak - but the vents all work so the vacuum doesn't seem to be that low... And what are the odds that the two issues aren't related? Coincidence is always possible... but this is frustrating.

I let it sit in the garage for a few days and took it out until it was warm today - no more extra leaking so far under it.. and i let it get warm. I had started it a couple of times and didn't notice more dripping either...

Any guesses on either (or both) of these guys?

OoteR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Sweetjackal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Could it be the valve cover and/or valve cover gasket?
The only real way to tell is clean it up and let it leak again.

00 WJ Limited - 4.7L Quadra-Crap, 3" IRO lift kit, JK Sahara 32's. Urban Wheeler / Daily Driver
Sweetjackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
OoteR

Unhappy

Maybe?

I'm not sure how to determine if it's the rear main vs a valve cover. And so far it seems to have leaked exactly 1x. The passenger side breather hose was pushed off entirely - how much oil could jump through that?

Such a weird thing, and it bugs me that the EVAP code flipped at the same time that seemingly random leak happened.

I'll clean it up and start/stop it a few times and see if anything shows up. There was some dripping onto the Y pipe and smoking after a short drive...
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
OoteR

So, I put it up and ran it some.. can't get more oil to come out of it.. pulled the battery and the code isn't back after a couple of starts... I .. don't get it.
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Could be the Valve Cover. I had the same issue. Changed the oil. Drivers side valve cover gasket right at the back of the engine started to leak every so slightly. Took off the cover gasket was bad replaced. Problem fixed.. Also I did notice that all of the rubber on the vacuum lines was starting to dry out have a few small splits and cracks. Started replacing the ones I noticed and I did a check (before and after I changed these rubber connectors not lines) and I had lower Vacuum per my scan tool. once I replaced the ones that were cracking it was exactly at spec.. So it could be both..
WJEEPSMASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
OoteR

Ugh, I'm hoping that this will.. just not reappear and I can pretend I never saw the light or the oil.. I want to drive it more and just watch the oil levels and see how it does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.