4.7 HO exhaust manifold gasket question - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatorgrabber

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
gatorgrabber
2004 WJ 

4.7 HO exhaust manifold gasket question

Well, it finally happened. My 04 4.7 HO broke one or two of the manifold bolts on the rear DS just a couple of days ago. I've read through a myriad of threads on the subject and I'm only checking to see what the current 'go to' gasket is for these things. Still Mopar or is there anything else to consider? Hey, Jeep engineers...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 AM
Relax_Jimmy24
2001 WJ 

I just recently installed new manifold gasket when i did the head gasket on my jeep. I went with mopar since they have the new style gasket. Its a regular gasket with an added steel piece.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
gatorgrabber
2004 WJ 

I appreciate the input! Has anyone here directly compared those to the Fel-Pro gaskets? As an aside, has anyone seen the passenger side bolts break? I'm wondering if the design of the exhaust system is putting stress on the DS manifold (bolts) when the engine torques in the chassis under load. I've seen twisting damage in the past with weakly reinforced race cars. As the engine twisted to the PS under load, it was causing shifter linkage 'binding' (among other gremlins). The engine mounts on these Jeeps are rather pliable, allowing a bit of movement. Just an observation...

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Relax_Jimmy24
2001 WJ 

I used Fel-Pro manifold gasket before. But the mopar gasket seems alot better with that extra steel layer. That would be the only difference.

As far as the bolts, i read alot of post here about this happening but never personally experienced it myself.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
gatorgrabber
2004 WJ 

For giggles, I got gaskets from both Mopar and Fel-Pro. I'll take a good look at them and report back. A question for someone in the know...what size bolts hold the manifold to the down-pipe? They're Mopar part# 6506012AA. I'm thinking about having a backup plan if the replacement bolts don't arrive in time.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM
1998 ZJ 

I work at a jeep dealer and I see lots of manifold jobs on newer 5.7 hemis and the techs dont ever reuse any hardware every job gets all new studs, nuts and bolts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
gatorgrabber
2004 WJ 

I can appreciate that. Hopefully there's anti-seize in the equation, too!
98318242 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
gatorgrabber
2004 WJ 

Just following up on this thread. I compared both the Fel-Pro and Mopar gaskets and went with the Mopar part. I'm not sure that the additional metal shim in the gasket really makes that much difference, but what the heck! The job itself isn't the worst thing I've ever done. My suggestions to those doing this in the future:
1) Spray the bolts with a good penetrating oil several days in advance (I used aviation Kroil).
2) Remove the air filter box (at least on a 4.7). This will give you far better access to the manifold.
3) Use anti-seize on the bolts.
4) I left the heat shield off for a day and got some thermal cycles on the engine. I then rechecked the torque on the bolts a final time and installed the shield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.