Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4.7 HO Cylinder Head Needed

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Double E 
#1 ·
So I'm in the middle of repairing a blown head gasket and my machine shop has deemed my head unusable at this point. I'm having an incredible time finding a replacement head, just the head, for a semi reasonable price. Junk yard wants 800$ for two, won't sell just one. Any one know of a decent place that might have one???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
How many miles on your engine? Are you going to keep it a long time? If I were you, AND the JY had a money back guarantee about the heads being straight, I'd buy up that pair of HO heads and swap them both in so things stay balanced (compression, wear etc). You can always sell the other off later or keep it just in case. The HO parts are like gold. How much do they want for the whole engine?

#3 ·
192k on motor. I was planning to hang onto it for awhile after doing all this work. Of course I'm on the hate side of my love hate relationship with at the moment. They want $1k for the whole motor. I suppose I could part it out and recoup some of the money.

#6 ·
Did some research and have found that the only difference between a standard 4.7 head and the HO head is that "HO" is stamped on the head??? Any truth to this? I'd love to have a standard head sitting next to an HO head and start going over them with a set of calipers.

#13 ·
Found a head on eBay just came in. Noticed these odd punch marks around each of the exhaust valves and a rather large one under the intake valve. Why would a machine shop do this or is this factory on some heads? Have anything to do with preventing valve seat drop???

#14 ·
Siscoe said:
Found a head on eBay just came in. Noticed these odd punch marks around each of the exhaust valves and a rather large one under the intake valve. Why would a machine shop do this or is this factory on some heads? Have anything to do with preventing valve seat drop??? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you just discovered what "pinning the seats mean" that scar under the intake seat looks questionable.

#18 ·
So I'm in the middle of repairing a blown head gasket and my machine shop has deemed my head unusable at this point. I'm having an incredible time finding a replacement head, just the head, for a semi reasonable price. Junk yard wants 800$ for two, won't sell just one. Any one know of a decent place that might have one???

Machine shop pros.com both complete for 570

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Alright I feel a WHOLE lot better about this head! Got a great deal on it but have been on pins and needles about it being a correct fit and treated with care! Casting is an exact match and I've learned some things here about the dreaded valve seats. Sounds like I'm in good shape with this head!

#20 ·
Do you have both heads off? If you're already this far in, you should go ahead and have the valve seats replaced and staked on the other head. It would suck to put forth all this effort and cash only to have a valve seat drop in the other head and trash your engine. :( It seems to be the leading cause of death for 4.7's.

#21 ·
I'm understanding that some of the catalysts for the seat drop are an overheat situation and a carbon buildup situation.
That the OP got 192K out of it and the HG was the reason for the teardown that's not bad.

Reminder to all of us to mind our cooling systems and exercise the engine occasionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.