4.7 headbolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 headbolts

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
DragNut

4.7 headbolts

Some on this forum have stated that the headbolts from the 4.7 are not reusable, In my shop manual it states to check the bolts and make sure they are not stretched beyond spec and as long as they are not then they can be reused. Is this the fact?

DragNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Red350ss
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragNut View Post
Some on this forum have stated that the headbolts from the 4.7 are not reusable, In my shop manual it states to check the bolts and make sure they are not stretched beyond spec and as long as they are not then they can be reused. Is this the fact?
They may be reusable, but I have always replaced headbolts on anything I have pulled a head off of....cheap insurance to replace them, then ya know you are torqued correctly....
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red350ss View Post
They may be reusable, but I have always replaced headbolts on anything I have pulled a head off of....cheap insurance to replace them, then ya know you are torqued correctly....

They are usable as long as they are over spec, but anyone that rebuilds engine and/or has any real common mechanical skill and knows what they are doing, WILL agree to just replace a set of head bolts on each head/s and be done with. I am included in this group with just replacing them for cheap great insurance.

OEM

P/N: 06505528AA $4.35 (each) need x20 total for both heads.

P/N: 06506785AA $2.10 (each) need x8 total for both heads.

or

you can purchase aftermarket cylinder head bolts.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

its def a good idea not to reuse TTY bolts, but if one was to do so its obvious if u can or not, because if u can turn them in and out by hand then they are not stretched, i know on both 4.7's i rebuilt that most of the headbolts couldnt be turned out by hand, so they were obviously stretched, but the weird thing is somehow they measured within spec
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
berndog67
2003 WJ 

also if you have the heads off spend the extra $130ish to have them checked, because not all compression issues are just headgaskets, both of mine ended up having 3 outta round valves and needed 1.5 thousands taken off to get em flat, runs like a champ a yr later
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.