4.7 Engine pulling tips and questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 Engine pulling tips and questions

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Coloradoyj1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.7 Engine pulling tips and questions

Hey Guys,

On to my second WJ (01 limited w/v8) she has 134k and the motor got hot so I need to swap it out. I had a couple quick questions, see below, as well as looking for some general pointers for people that have done this job that will make things a little smoother

questions:

RELEASING FUEL pressure: the manual says to turn the motor over with injectors removed, this motor is seized so I can't do that, I am worried about the amount of pressure in the system and how best to release it.

I noticed some people remove the radiator? is this necessary?

I plan on pulling the motor sometime this weekend, and would love to get some pointers that could help with my first engine pull. thanks guys!

Coloradoyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
stone white 99

Definitely remove the radiator and condenser. Good time to replace either if old.
I found the very top two trans-to-engine bolts to be 16mm and only accessible from the top side laying over the engine using a gear wrench. The next two down the bellhousing I got using a long extensions and u joint in there/ electric impact.
Starter out, exhaust off at manifold and remove exhaust to trans mount.
Then you can remove the structural cover dont forget to loosen and remove the four flex plate to torque converter bolts up in there. You will need a harmonic balance puller and install tool.
Remember you will have to pre prime the oiling system if new engine before first start up or you could turn your bearings to dust.
Find a complete writeup if you can.
Releasing fuel pressure done at fuel rail.
stone white 99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Disconnect fuel filter & release pressure at Schrader valve on fuel rail?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Disconnect fuel filter & release pressure at Schrader valve on fuel rail?
x2 on the fuel rail. You should find it at the end on the fuel rail
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Rather than worry about separating engine from transmission while still attached in the vehicle, pull the entire assembly out through the front and disassemble it outside the Jeep.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

first will you be using a lift? if not I would deflate your front tires yes it sound crazy but it just makes it a little easier to pull the motor out if your not using a super tall hoist. also the fuel rail only holds about 45psi which isn't much. take a thick rag and look at the pass side fuel rail should be a little cap take it off cover the hole and press in with a screw driver. also remove the rad cond and air box, front grill cover. also pics would be awesome lol. good luck
capthowdy575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Nbrown08
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Rather than worry about separating engine from transmission while still attached in the vehicle, pull the entire assembly out through the front and disassemble it outside the Jeep.
X2 i've pulled mine twice and did it this way the second time.
Pulled the driveshaft the dropped the crossmember. It's one big assembly lol
Nbrown08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Coloradoyj1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys!
I appreciate the insight, I haven't bought my hoist yet, but when I worked in a shop we always pulled the motor/trans together. I'll get a write up going because I haven't seen one on the forum, Morris 4x4 has the factory manuals on line which has been a good starting point. Thanks again, excited to be riding in a plush jeep again.
Coloradoyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.