4.7 engine bad sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 engine bad sound

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
dada
2000 WJ 

Wj 4.7 engine bad sound

Hello everybody from Russia, Moscow!

I have 2000 WJ 4.7, and when i do cold start, the engine have a bad sound about 1-2 minute, when it hot, all is ok.

I change timing chain and tensioners, but sound stiil bad(
235k miles,Oil 10w30, pressure ok, fuel eco ok, no misings, jeep run good.

lifters?

sound on my video.

sorry for bad English.

dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Welcome! And not to worry. Coherent, and punctuation. Can understand fine!

Now, I have the 4.0L, so others will better know the engine, but reminds me of my engine the way it sounded before things went really bad with it. Not to say, that that`s going to happen.

Can you pin point where the noise is coming from? Front or back? Top end? bottom end? etc. From what I've seen on here some noises are caused simply due to a broken manifold bolt and nothing else.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I don't think that's the exhaust manifold leak. That manifold leak really sounds more like compression gasses escaping.

The sound clip sounds more like a top-end valve train or chain tensioner issue. Need light & location to better guess.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

My 4.7 sounds pretty much the same. I get good fuel economy and it runs very well aside from that sound on start up. It seemed to get worse after I switched to QS Defy. I have since run Penzoil 5W30 with Marvel Mystery oil in if for 1500 miles, then I went back to Mobil 1 synthetic... it still makes the same noise.

I found this thread on people chasing down that same noise:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...-slapping.html

I can't tell if it's my lash adjusters or possibly exhaust manifold leak. I had a ticking on start up, but now it's more of a clacking sound.... when I was out west I heard a Ford Explorer with a cracked manifold and it really makes a clacking sound like my 4.7...

It seems lots of these 4.7's make that sound and there is no straight forward answer on how to fix it.

Unread 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
deandec
1999 WJ 

Mine was a manifold leak. Very quiet after repair of driver side manifold.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

My Ram has had this problem forever, and my WJ does it too. Fact is, Chrysler V8's have traditionally made some lifter noise at startup, it's not something I sweat.

Do you have Marvel Mystery Oil in Russia? That seems to be best the thing to help treat it, but it won't fully "cure" it.

If you can, try that out. If you don't have Marvel Mystery Oil, I'll see if I can either find a comparable product that you can get, or we'll find a way to get you some. In exchange for some good vodka, of course.

Tim
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

An excerpt from my 2000 WJ Factory Service Manual:

HYDRAULIC LASH ADJUSTER NOISE
DIAGNOSIS

(1) Engine oil level too high or too low. This may
cause aerated oil to enter the adjusters and cause
them to be spongy.
(2) Insufficient running time after rebuilding cylinder
head. Low speed running up to 1 hour may be
required.
(3) Turn engine off and let set for a few minutes
before restarting. Repeat this several times after
engine has reached normal operating temperature.
(4) Low oil pressure.
(5) The oil restrictor in cylinder head gasket or the
oil passage to the cylinder head is plugged with
debris.
(6) Air ingested into oil due to broken or cracked
oil pump pick up.
(7) Worn valve guides.
(8) Rocker arm ears contacting valve spring
retainer.
(9) Rocker arm loose, adjuster stuck or at maximum
extension and still leaves lash in the system.
(10) Faulty lash adjuster.
a. Check lash adjusters for sponginess while
installed in cylinder head and cam on camshaft at
base circle. Depress part of rocker arm over adjuster.
Normal adjusters should feel very firm. Spongy
adjusters can be bottomed out easily.
b. Remove suspected lash adjusters, and replace.
c. Before installation, make sure adjusters are at
least partially full of oil. This can be verified by little
or no plunger travel when lash adjuster is depressed.

Perhaps that can help you along.

Tim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.