4.7 dying without warning - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 dying without warning

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

If it's only happening while hot, then it probably is your ECM. A few other users were going through the same thing, changed crank sensor, cam sensor, TPS, etc. they finally replaced their ECM with a used, reflashed one and it solved their problem.
TIMBOB, I think was one of them. ZEPHYR was another.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Brian_lee86

did the map sensor this morning then we went and clocked 300 miles with no issues to speak of i'd say my problem was the MAP, let me know what happens with yours i should add that the MAP sensor from the jeep commander has nearly identical part number and is also a 4.7l so my lesson learned here was double check part numbers (case in point Commander 4.7 MAP 56041018AD vs Grand cherokee 4.7 56041018AB)

Last edited by Brian_lee86; 11-12-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Brian_lee86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

To the original poster to me you seem to have two problems. One associated with the stalling when stopped and one with engine cutting out while driving.

If your gauges all zeroed then went to normal that's a PCM com's or loss of power to me. Or your ultra gauge is pounding the PCM for data and locking it up / clogging the data bus with parameter requests. (PID requests to be exact)

You could remove the ultra gauge from the OBD port and see what happens.

Stalling at intersections had always been a Throttle body remove and clean.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Russell84
2003 WJ 

I'll unplug the Ultra Gauge and see if that helps at all.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Russell84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
Russell84
2003 WJ 

So I unplugged the Ultra Gauge and it hasn't died on me again. And the CEL came back on shortly after (for the same EVAP code I've had since I bought the Jeep), so apparently it was interfering with the computer somehow. Kinda disappointing that its causing problems, since it's a very handy little gizmo. Guess I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can figure out why it's doing this. Going to give it a week or so before I'm confident that was really the problem, but its looking good so far.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #21
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Is it programmable? When devices request PIDs the devices address determines the priority.

I think the PCM and all the factory devices are like.......1 and anything plugged into the OBD port should be address 2 or something.

My scangaugeII (I'm pretty sure can be changed) is selectable I think but default is a lower priority. And it has a low, normal and fast update time.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
Russell84
2003 WJ 

I'll have to take a look at the device settings and see if there's something I can adjust on it so it doesn't interfere with my computer. Like I said, it's super handy, but not if it makes my Jeep die.

Unread 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
link375
2001 WJ 

mine just started shaking this morning while waiting for a meal at a drive tru, then then CEL came on and threw out a P0152 code. for one of the O2 sensors.

the shaking or sputtering thing is what usually happens before it dies on me, I'm not sure if this is helpful to any of you
link375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.