4.7 dying without warning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.7 dying without warning

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Russell84
2003 WJ 

4.7 dying without warning

I've read some similar issues, but I have enough unique details that I figured it warranted a new thread, so here goes. This will be a long post since I'm trying to include all the details I can remember.

At idle, sitting at a light, in the driveway, carwash, or wherever, my engine will just die. It doesn't sputter or idle rough or anything beforehand, it just very quietly dies. Sometimes I don't even notice when it dies until I try to move. It always fires right back up, usually with no sputtering or anything, but occasionally it will idle rough for a second immediately after restarting. I have no engine codes, pending or otherwise, to indicate what the problem is and I haven't noticed a change in power, mileage, shifting, or anything else.

It also happened twice while driving a few weeks ago. I was pulling a small utility trailer (about 400#) with a new HP44 on it, so about 800-900# total on the highway in OD and the Jeep jerked violently and I could feel/hear the driveline go from driving to coasting and immediately back to driving. At first I was afraid it was a transmission issue when this happened while driving, but after further thought and analyzing shifts and what happened immediately afterwards, it seems more like the engine died for about 1/2 second and then fired right back up. Immediately after the jerk, I looked at my gauges and my speedometer was swinging from 0 back up to 60mph like the gauges had been briefly without power/signal. After the second jerk (about 30 seconds after the first), I pulled over and crawled under the Jeep looking for any kind of leaks, driveline slack, etc, but did not see or smell anything out of the ordinary. I drove the rest of the way home (another 2 hours) with OD turned off. It did not happen again while driving, but while waiting at a light about 30 minutes later, the engine died again. Popped it into N and it started right back up and ran great the rest of the way home.

To me, this seems like a sensor issue. Maybe a crankshaft or cam position sensor going bad. I don't think it is a wiring harness shorting/grounding issue since it always fires right back up and rough roads or vibration doesn't seem to have an effect on the problem. Does anyone have any insight on what could be causing this problem? It's very annoying, but so far hasn't left me stranded anywhere since it does always start right back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a possibly related note, I just put an Ultra Gauge in the Jeep about 3 weeks ago so I could monitor temperatures, mileage, etc and it will randomly blank out for a second like it's not receiving any signals from the OBDII port and then return to normal. I have alarms set for engine load, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc, and these alarms will randomly go off when no abnormal conditions exist. For example, while cruising along at about 1700rpm, the alarm will go off saying my engine RPM is 4500 or so.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help. If you need more details or have specific questions, please ask and I will answer as best I can.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Russell84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
vang7322

Let me know if you figure this out. I've been having the same issues while driving...
vang7322 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Tps?
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Russell84
2003 WJ 

The TPS is only about 6 months old, but I did already order a new one. MOPAR this time instead of a cheapo AZ one. I'm just trying to figure out if I need new camshaft and/or crankshaft position sensors as well. They're not that expensive.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Anyone else have any ideas on what to check and how to check it? I'm good with mechanical stuff, but not so much with vehicle electronics.

Unread 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

Sounds like the same exact symptoms I am experiecing right now. IAC and TPS both have been changed recently and the crankshaft and camshaft sensor were both changed yesterday. The only thing that replacing the two sensors changed was it doesn't do it on cold starts now. However today it did it at a stop light and pulling into a driveway. Just wish I knew what it was so I can fix it. If anyone can give suggestions as to what it is, that would be greatly appreciated.
wsrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
MichaelS75
1999 WJ 

Mine does the same thing. My map sensor connector looked like crap so I replaced it and it helped but it still sucks. I've basically given up.

Changed the tps with no change
MichaelS75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Well since I haven't gotten any other responses except from people having the same problem, I'll report back after I change my crankshaft position sensor. I also ordered a camshaft position sensor, but I'll do one at a time to see if I can pinpoint it.

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

let us know
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
2000_WJ_Kris
2000 WJ 

I am also having this problem and I am completely stumped.
2000_WJ_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Brian_lee86

i haven't had it shut down while driving but it was happening daily at a stop. i am doing a MAP tomorrow i would give that a try if you aren't successful with the CPS
Brian_lee86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Let us know how the MAP sensor replacement goes. If it fixes it, that would be good info to know. I'm still waiting on my sensors to get delivered.

Unread 11-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
MichaelS75
1999 WJ 

I may need to switch out the map sensor as well
MichaelS75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

Has anyone replaced the MAP sensor with success?

Sent from the back seat
wsrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
AZJEEPGUY1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell84 View Post
I've read some similar issues, but I have enough unique details that I figured it warranted a new thread, so here goes. This will be a long post since I'm trying to include all the details I can remember.

At idle, sitting at a light, in the driveway, carwash, or wherever, my engine will just die. It doesn't sputter or idle rough or anything beforehand, it just very quietly dies. Sometimes I don't even notice when it dies until I try to move. It always fires right back up, usually with no sputtering or anything, but occasionally it will idle rough for a second immediately after restarting. I have no engine codes, pending or otherwise, to indicate what the problem is and I haven't noticed a change in power, mileage, shifting, or anything else.

It also happened twice while driving a few weeks ago. I was pulling a small utility trailer (about 400#) with a new HP44 on it, so about 800-900# total on the highway in OD and the Jeep jerked violently and I could feel/hear the driveline go from driving to coasting and immediately back to driving. At first I was afraid it was a transmission issue when this happened while driving, but after further thought and analyzing shifts and what happened immediately afterwards, it seems more like the engine died for about 1/2 second and then fired right back up. Immediately after the jerk, I looked at my gauges and my speedometer was swinging from 0 back up to 60mph like the gauges had been briefly without power/signal. After the second jerk (about 30 seconds after the first), I pulled over and crawled under the Jeep looking for any kind of leaks, driveline slack, etc, but did not see or smell anything out of the ordinary. I drove the rest of the way home (another 2 hours) with OD turned off. It did not happen again while driving, but while waiting at a light about 30 minutes later, the engine died again. Popped it into N and it started right back up and ran great the rest of the way home.

To me, this seems like a sensor issue. Maybe a crankshaft or cam position sensor going bad. I don't think it is a wiring harness shorting/grounding issue since it always fires right back up and rough roads or vibration doesn't seem to have an effect on the problem. Does anyone have any insight on what could be causing this problem? It's very annoying, but so far hasn't left me stranded anywhere since it does always start right back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a possibly related note, I just put an Ultra Gauge in the Jeep about 3 weeks ago so I could monitor temperatures, mileage, etc and it will randomly blank out for a second like it's not receiving any signals from the OBDII port and then return to normal. I have alarms set for engine load, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc, and these alarms will randomly go off when no abnormal conditions exist. For example, while cruising along at about 1700rpm, the alarm will go off saying my engine RPM is 4500 or so.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help. If you need more details or have specific questions, please ask and I will answer as best I can.
So I have a 99 limited 4.7 it dies out of no where also but dose not start rite back up always some times it can take 30 min to start back up no check engine light ever from what I've found it's my ECM and according to Chrysler it is a common problem for my year.
AZJEEPGUY1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.