4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm on WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm on WJ

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
bstewart91yj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm on WJ

So my girlfriends 2002 WJ is approaching 100k miles and the suspension was sagging, shocks needed replaced, the factory Jeep aluminim wheels started to leak air, and the NP242 t-case wasn't very reliable this past winter. Sure we could have just replaced the components with more boring factory stuff but what's the fun in that?

So we began collecting parts and finally after all the collecting the build began. (click on pics to enlarge) sorry for the crappy crackberry pics

The parts list includes:

4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor Plus long arm kit
ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks
JKS bar pin eliminators
ProComp 8089 17x9 wheels
ProComp Xtreme M/T tires--33x12.50x17
NP231 t-case swap with Rugged Ridge Mega short shaft SYE kit
JE Reel double cardan driveshafts front and rear
custom exhaust to fit with the triangulated 4 link rear suspension
G2 4.56 gears front and rear and a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear
G2 diff covers
while I'm at it I'm changing the trans filter/fluid

Before: (sitting next to my Ram with 4" of lift on 35's)

The rear half of the lift kit went on very easily. The rear axle truss required some welding and I had to bend the rear brake lines a bit to fit into the notches on the truss. RockKrawler designed the kit to have the control arm mounts bolted on but I didn't feel like drilling that much so I welded the control arm mounts on instead. The front half of the lift kit wasn't too bad. I broke a couple of the shock bolts holding the bar pins on and broke the lower track bar mounting bolt off. I used JKS bar pin eliminators for the shocks (they come with all necessary hardware) and had to pound the welded nut off of the track bar mount at the axle with the trusty BFH and a punch. This allowed me to drill out the track bar mount and use the supplied 14mm bolt at the axle mount. I did run into an issue that RockKrawler didn't mention in their instructions when the track bar hit the spring bucket and still had to come up 8" to meet the frame mount. I marked the spring bucket and ground it out so the track bar would clear. (pictured below) I now have plenty of room for the track bar to travel to acheive maximum articulation.

Rear axle truss:

Control arm mounts:

Rear lifted:

Spring bucket ground out:

Lift installed:

The NP231 t-case I used was out of a 97 XJ and was a direct swap into the WJ. The input gear and bolt up was exactly the same as the WJ's 242. I used the shifter bracket off of the 242 on the 231 and hooked up the WJ's stock cable shifter. Obviously the markings on the bezel inside aren't correct anymore because I no longer have 4WD Part time but I'm going to make a new bezel or repaint the one that is in there already.

(pics of the t-case to come)

bstewart91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice WJ.

So how does the 231 shift with the cable? Does it shift nice and smooth?

I have been wanting to do a cable shifter in my TJ for quite some time now, and the thought of using a WJ cable shifter has crossed my mind.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
bstewart91yj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Nice WJ.

So how does the 231 shift with the cable? Does it shift nice and smooth?

I have been wanting to do a cable shifter in my TJ for quite some time now, and the thought of using a WJ cable shifter has crossed my mind.
Actually it shifts real smooth. You'll need a WJ shifter bracket if you want to use the cable shifter. The TJ and XJ brackets hang down and throw from front to back when shifting from 2WD. The WJ bracket sticks up and goes from back to front when shifting from 2WD. I'll snap a few pics when I put it back in the air to make some adjustments tonight.
bstewart91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.