4.0L runs good for 30sec then rough - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L runs good for 30sec then rough

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
bergoff

4.0L runs good for 30sec then rough

I have a 99 4.0L with 96k. All of the sudden it has been acting strange. It will start and idle good for 30sec. Then it doesn't want to rev and will backfire through the tb and sputter but won't die just idle rough and won't rev. It will do this for about 1min then it's fine for the rest of the trip. If it sits not running for longer than 30mins it will do it all over again. Sometimes the revs will come down real slow. And also there is no check engine light or codes.

Today I pulled the tb and cleaned the iac and installed a new tps. When I was in the driveway it was idling rough and I could hear the tb sucking air like crazy. And if I remember correctly my Ram with a bad plenum gasket did the same thing. So do I have a vacuum leak or is it something else? I don't know if its connected but my ac will switch on its own from vents to defrost and then back to vents. Kind of weird and one of my WJ's quirks.

Last edited by bergoff; 08-24-2013 at 08:28 PM..
bergoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
str8six
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am having the same issue with my 2000 Gr Cherokee 4.0. It will start up and run perfectly, once it warms up a little and sometimes it happens once it warms up all the way, but it happens everytime I drive it. It bucks and backfires, and misses. It then stops all together after giving it some gas, and then its fine the rest of the time until it gets cold again and I start it and drive it again.

Im just starting to diagnose, was wondering if you came up with anything, or if anyone knows where to start. I'm thinking intake leak. Faulty fuel pump. Faulty fuel relay.
It has new plugs, new air filter, it has 177,000 miles on it. It's definatley weird, that it only does it once it's warm, and only once at idle , but then at idle for the rest of the time it's running, no issue.
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
rockatansky666

Bad TPS can cause running issues…just a thought. Easy to test with a multi metre
rockatansky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
str8six
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed the issue. It was the front O2 sensor. It had a faulty heater circuit. It wouldn't heat up as fast as the car or something like that, so as soon as the jeep got to operating temp, the front 02 sensor gave the computer the wrong reading, causing it to run very lean. But new O2 sensor and all is good.
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.