4.0L fan shroud removal.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L fan shroud removal..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

4.0L fan shroud removal..

in the middle of replacing my radiator...i don't understand how the fan shroud is supposed to come out. i took the 2 bolts out, the the shroud itself is surrounding the fan blades and there's no room to remove it.

4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
boomersoonerGC
1999 WJ 

It's attached with 4 bolts. The bottom bolts are miserable.

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemi d=126

Some people have cut off a cheapo box wrench to fit the space, some just pull the whole radiator up some. Both are effective solutions.
boomersoonerGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Jeepoman
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jeep View Post
in the middle of replacing my radiator...i don't understand how the fan shroud is supposed to come out. i took the 2 bolts out, the the shroud itself is surrounding the fan blades and there's no room to remove it.
Hi 4x4, Since you are replacing the rad. half the battle is over, the easiest way by far is using three tools, a1/4 ratchet and deep 10mm socket a thin long 10mm combo wrench and a 10mm flat ratchet combo that has a swivel end on the ratchet side this last one will give you the necessary angle for the lower drivers side bolt.. Once you have disconnected the the rad hoses and drained the fluid you'll have plenty of room, best to start with the bottom bolts, the passenger bolt takes the most time to do, easiest from the top with the 10mm combo wrench, disconnect the wiring plug from the fan and pull the fan connector from the shroud, its held by a plastic tit with barbs, be gentle you may need it if the new fan doesn't come with it, this will give you more room to turn the wrench......Now slip the box end on the bolt and turn to loosen, you"ll only get a bit better than 1/8 of a turn, be patient, once you move the bolt out a couple of threads you"ll be able to turn it with your finger tips and off quickly, the driver's side use the the swivel fat ratchet, from underneath slip the the ratcheting box end on the bolt using your pointer finger, the swivel will give you the correct angle to the shroud, just hold it in place and ratchet away, you'll have it off in a jiffy, the top bolts well you know what to do, once all bolts are out just carefully pull the assembly up and a little to your left and it comes right out. Replace in reverse order. Good Luck.
Jeepoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't done the Jeep.... But a Ford Ranger... Had to take the fan/clutch loose from the crank to get the shroud up and out of the truck.
It was a bit of a pain getting to the fan bolts with the shroud in place, but overall it came out pretty easy doing it that way.
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have both a mechanical as well as an electic radiator fan? If so, you will have to remove the fan and fan clutch from the water pump via the 36mm nut. The fan, and shroud will all some out as a unit. Are you having issues with the passengerside lower shroud bolt as well?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Are you having issues with the passengerside lower shroud bolt as well?
Since he said "I got the two bolts out" I'm assuming he's not aware there's two lower bolts he needs to get at as well.

OP: Since you're pulling the radiator, leave the shroud attached and pull it all out as one piece. It's 100 times easier

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

apparently whoever worked on my jeep before didn't bother to put the 2 lower bolts back in, so i only had to take out 2 (upper) bolts.

i ended up having a buddy come over to give me a hand and we finished it up friday night, without taking the shroud out.

thanks for the replies.
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Since he said "I got the two bolts out" I'm assuming he's not aware there's two lower bolts he needs to get at as well.

OP: Since you're pulling the radiator, leave the shroud attached and pull it all out as one piece. It's 100 times easier
Removing the radiator, the mechanical fan (towing package) and electric fan, all as one unit with fan shroud still attached would have required some additional hands, which I didn't have. Ended up, I couldn't do this anyway as
one of the "neat" things I discovered with mine is the lower radiator hose was impossible to get to with the shoud in place as the hose clamps were attached while the shroud was out. I have the skids included in the Up Country package so the front lower radiator skid limits things. While I had mine apart, I replaced the lower radiator hose, making sure I could get to clamps without having to remove the shroud.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Whoever decided to put that lower bolt beside the steering box should be tied up and burned at the stake. I had an awful time getting that out when I replaced my electric fan, but it is possible if you sacrifice a 10mm wrench.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Whoever decided to put that lower bolt beside the steering box should be tied up and burned at the stake. I had an awful time getting that out when I replaced my electric fan, but it is possible if you sacrifice a 10mm wrench.
I don't remember the driver's side as being a problem as much as the passengerside.... the pass side was pressed against the frame rail so tight a wrench wouldn't go over the head of the bolt. I was able to go thru the top of the grill and remove the passenger side bold and really losen the driver's side, then I could raise (lift up) the passengerside of the radiator enough to clear the frame rail... It seems whomever designed the 4.0L WJ's liked to build those puzzles, like the twised nails.

Unread 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

when i pulled mine, i found the driver side harder than the pass side lower, pass side lower comes right out with a swivel extension the driver side however was like a 30 minute process, i left it out, it has a new home in my toolbox now
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
hotrod760

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersoonerGC View Post
It's attached with 4 bolts. The bottom bolts are miserable.

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemi d=126

Some people have cut off a cheapo box wrench to fit the space, some just pull the whole radiator up some. Both are effective solutions.

It took me way to long to remove the bottom driver side bolt on the fan shroud, so I found a tool that makes this process so much easier to remove. Check it out.

Husky SAE Flex Ratcheting Wrench Set (5-Piece). there are other similar brands. The flex ratcheting wrench was a God send for this situation.

hotrod760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
I've heard about "that bolt" BEFORE reading this thread... like you suggested, I saw some guy on Youtube who heated and bent a cheapy 10 mm wrench...that's what I'll be doing when I do my E-fan next week.

Like "kc2" mentioned ...it's going to go in my spare bolts pile AND STAY THERE once I remove it.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Knightrider9827
2002 WJ 

^ haha! I never put that bottom bolt back in either
Knightrider9827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
losttech

2000 WJ 

I cut my shroud out with a dremel then removed the dreaded driver side lower bolt.

Its out and will never ever go back in that was the most frustrating experience I have had on my jeep.

3 bolts keep it in just fine though.
I bought some hose clamps with wingnuts on them so I can do them by hand since that bottom one is such a pain in the butt to get to.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.