4.0L CCV Elbow Removal Guide/Tips Write Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L CCV Elbow Removal Guide/Tips Write Up

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

4.0L CCV Elbow Removal Guide/Tips Write Up

Well, it finally happened to me. I was inspecting the oily residue/discharge on my valve cover, when I realized that it was seeping out from the rear CCV elbow vent.
And somehow while I tried to loosen the rear elbow, I smacked my elbow on the front one and broke it. So here are the details on how to fix it.
(Yes, I know it has been “written up before” but having one more thread won’t hurt so its easier to find for the newbs).

Discharge:

Damage:

As many of you know the 4.0l has these vents, known as CCV’s (I think its crank case ventilation or closed crankcase ventilation). Anyway, they are not your typical PCV valve, these are more or less just elbows to help circulate the crankcase emissions out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold, where they can be burned. They still can get plugged up with gunk much like a PCV, and it’s a good idea to replace them so your engine runs smoothly and produces less emissions. Mine were original with 130k. (almost 95% clean and clear though to my surprise)

So I quickly realized that I had fallen victim to the classic case. The plastic elbows had gotten extremely brittle and the two rubber grommets had gotten stiffer than the plastic elbows themselves. This cause some discharge onto the valve cover and can cause oil blow back onto the air filter on some models.

So you say just unscrew them. Nope, they pop in/out by friction. So now you’re thinking big deal right? Just yank them out. No, No, my friend. That’s not how it works. Try and pull on them. It feels like they’re not even made to come out, huh? Just about any 4.0l owner who’s done this will tell you a great story about how long it took them and what they did. Maybe about 1 in 20 will get them out without damage. (That’s usually because the parts are relatively new i.e. not brittle.) Typically the elbows shatter at the first application of just about any removal tool, and this typically causes large plastic pieces to enter your valve cover. Great. And on top of that, the grommets can often get lodged in there and require being cut out, and this can lead to more pieces under your valve cover, yada yada yada, you’ll be ripping that thing off before you know it. Unless of course you do it my way and also replace these things before they get 200k miles on them.

PROCEDURE:

Here are the parts you’ll need. (Some 4.0L part #’s are different, so check it out somewhere)
For my 99WJ it was the following:
p/n qty
5303 0495 1 TUBE, Crankcase Vent To Air Cleaner (This is the rear elbow. Its gray)
5303 0497 1 FITTING, Crankcase Vent Tube (This is the front elbow. Its black)
2946 079 2 GROMMET, Crankcase Vent (These are the two grommets)

You could also buy new tubing, mine wasn’t cracked so I didn’t.
4854 119 1 TUBE, Crankcase Vent To Air Cleaner (front tube)
4854 265 1 TUBE, Crankcase Vent To Intake Manifold (rear tube)

Grand total of $ 22.37 at the stealership.
(It has been debated about 1000 times if you can get these parts elsewhere. The answer is you can. Most people have trouble finding them because they think they are PCV valves. They aren’t. Go to a good parts store and you will find the elbow and grommets. I recommend the dealership because they are more likely to have them in stock. Oh, and NO you do not need to buy a whole new valve cover with pre installed parts, if someone at your dealership tells you this, run away and never go back.)

Here are the goods: (1 front and 1 rear elbow, 2 grommets, and I recommend a 30 of an adult beverage)

Note the differences in the elbows:

Minimum Tools you should/will/could need:
Flat head screwdrivers
large pliers, channel locks
utility knife

So here is the process: (finally, I know I babble)

1. Get the tubing off. It pulls right off. Get it out of the way and move it aside, check it for damage and make sure it is cleaned out.
2. Don’t mess around trying to pull out the elbow by clamping pliers around the neck of the elbow. It will break, you will be mad, and then you’ll be pulling your valve cover.
3. Carefully pry one or two sides or the elbow up from the wide base with a flat head screwdriver . What I mean is stick the flat head screwdriver between the grommet and the flanged base of the elbow and pry up with firm but not ridiculous pressure. If it comes out great, if not move on. (Two can make it easier in the end, but it is sometimes possible with one)
4. If you didn’t get it out with step three, 4+5 will get it out. Holding a gap underneath the elbow with the screwdriver(s), insert your standard pliers or BFP’s (yes there are BFP’s much like BFH’s) underneath the elbow in a vertical arrangement and clamp on to the flange base (pliers upside down - see pic below) Get the pliers as much grip on the base as possible so it doesn’t break. (I recommend cutting the outer edge of the grommet off so the pliers can get in the gap easier.)
5. Now its time to push down on the pliers handle and let the head of the pliers act as a hinge. The leverage of one or two pairs of pilers will pop that thing right out.

Its out sweet! (The other damage is from my early attempts at removal, not the above technique)

6. Grommets- I contemplated cutting it out, but then discovered the trick. Take your pliers and grab the edge of the grommet and pull it straight up. Yes just yank it out.

7. Rear elbow: Clearance is tight but just do the same as the front. I used smaller pliers.

8. Install: If you lube up the grommets elbows with a drop of oil, they go in much easier. Some people suggest putting in the grommet and elbow together, others say separately. For me, it was much easier to put the grommet in first, then the elbow.

Other Notes:
You’ll probably notice that my back (gray) elbow has a longer neck than the original. I don’t know why, maybe an update or something. Its seems to work without issue, escept that there is slightly more tension in the tubing from the gray elbow to the intake manifold. It tends to pull the elbow to the side just a bit. This is reason for the blue rtv between the grommet and the elbow. I did it on the front to because there was about 1/32” of vertical slop between the pieces, now its nicely sealed. (And Yes I should have used black rtv )

Also I cable tied my old hoses at the connections so they never come loose. Hose clamps would probably be a better choice.

Search tags: 4.0l PCV CCV crankcase crank case elbow vent hose tubing emissions removal

Last edited by walter_da_jpr; 03-19-2009 at 09:00 AM..
walter_da_jpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Great write up! I'm sure many will find this very useful, myself included.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

yeah when i did this, it was truly a PITA.
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Nice write-up. Sounds like I should go ahead and replace these. I'm at ~120k and I doubt they've been replaced.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
malibubts
2002 WJ 

I was wondering why there were little puddles of oil(ish) stuff around those. I'm at 160k so I thinking I'm going to take this project on pretty soon. Great writeup.
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Hmm I have been trying to locate those parts for a while for the ZJ, they look the same. I wonder if they will fit.

All my stealerships say that I require a new valve cover, bs.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomes512 View Post
Hmm I have been trying to locate those parts for a while for the ZJ, they look the same. I wonder if they will fit.

All my stealerships say that I require a new valve cover, bs.
PM Kolak, he'll get you the parts. In fact, Kolak, if you see this thread, I need those parts too.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
rudboy11
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up. Thanks a bunch. I found this very helpful. I am replacing my valve cover right now and as soon as i touched the elbows, they shattered
rudboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
gharris54
2000 WJ 

Is a little seepage from that thing bad. Mine does it and its only 90K old.

Dana35 SOLID diff cover and a lock-right locker for a Dana35 for sale
gharris54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
georged
2004 WJ 

I agree a good write-up. I bought the parts a few months ago but haven't had the courage yet to change them. Now I am going to do it.
One other thing I have to do, and have not yet received decisive answer to, is removing the idler pulley. Some say there is a nut on the back side. My 04 looks like it is threaded into a protrusion on the side of the block.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
georged
2004 WJ 

I just did mine today. I found that a fork that is used to seperate steering parts worked fine on the front. I got it between the gromet and the bottom of the elbow and when I rotated it up the elbow and gromet came out together. Looked like it would work on the rear but that did not happen. I broke a few pieces off the bottom but it did come out.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
okanagan79

Great post! Your part numbers saved me alot of $ - dealership wanted over $100 these pieces!!! Our local Lordco (I'm in BC) couldn't find any reference for the 4854119 and 4854265 though, any idea why that might be or how else to go about finding the front and rear tubes? THANKS!!!
okanagan79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Does anyone know what size the tube is on the PCV valve? I bought a 3/8"-1/2" breather filter last night and it was too small and had to return it. (I love Auto-Zone BTW, I figured after completely mutilating the packaging that they would not take it back, turns out they just put it in the damaged goods box and the company replaces it, and they completely refunded my money). Once I had thrown away the receipt and the guy remembered me and wrote a lost receipt form and still gave me all my money back. Advanced, O'Reilys, and Wal-Mart have all turned me away when either of the two things before I mentioned happened empty handed and very pissed even when I had the receipt.
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by okanagan79 View Post
Great post! Your part numbers saved me alot of $ - dealership wanted over $100 these pieces!!! Our local Lordco (I'm in BC) couldn't find any reference for the 4854119 and 4854265 though, any idea why that might be or how else to go about finding the front and rear tubes? THANKS!!!
I don't know if I can help you find the exact tubes except from a dealer. However, there is no reason you couldn't just run some appropriately sized vacuum tubing in its place.

And as far a tubing size I think its more like 5/8" to 3/4"
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thats what I was thinking more like 3/4". Now anyone know where I can buy a breather filter with a 3/4" diameter tube as I couldn't find one anywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.