4.0 Overheat Concern Before Buying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Overheat Concern Before Buying

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
dougf4

4.0 Overheat Concern Before Buying

I am looking at a really clean 99 with a 4.0. I know the owner and think I can trust him. About 6 months ago he had the water pump and radiator replaced due to a busted water pump - did the radiator as a preventive thing.

He tells me that the temp gage climbed, but not to the red and he stopped and cooled the engine down, repeated this several times and finally had it towed as he was scared of doing damage.

I have read on this forum that a head problem might not show up from an overheat for quite a while. If I take him at his word, do you think I would be safe buying this vehicle. It also has a rear axle seal leak. I've really looked it over and driven it to get the temp up and all seems perfect.

I'd appeciate any advice. I plan on buying it later today if I get my comfort level up.

btw,,,I can get it for 2800 without the second set of wheels/tires as he has it listed.

Also, any other advice as far as buying a 99, which I know has some non-fans on here would be greatly appreciated.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4171084195.html

dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

The temp on my '99 4.0 has climbed several times due to fan relay and water pump failures, though never drastically. At 209K my original head is still working just fine. That WJ looks real clean... I say go for it.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

If I were you I would seriously consider buying a later wj than a 99. They tend to have electrical problems sonce that year was the first transition to electrical components in the engine. I was originally gonna buy a 99 with 95k on it but I found an 02 with 85k on it. Its a 4.0 which will last forever but you have to think about that electrical problem.
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
dougf4

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. Any others out there, feel free to add your two cents.
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
Its a 4.0 which will last forever but you have to think about that electrical problem.
Aside from the dreaded piston skirt and head cracking problems. Haven't had any issues yet at 151k miles, knock on wood.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
vmo23

Listing seems to be gone. You get it?
vmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
dougf4

No. I missed out on it by dragging my feet - a trait I need to get over when spending money!

That really was a great price for a rig like that in our area.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.