4.0 fuel injector upgrade 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 fuel injector upgrade 4.0

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

4.0 fuel injector upgrade 4.0

Jeep is running sluggish, Mpgs 14.3 highway. I'm thinking fuel filter or pump/screen. But with under 100k does this sound right? Jeep lacks power on hills and almost seems like Rear break dragging, there is a clink coming from around that area, but nothing has locked up or smoking. Main problem is on hills, this thing is a dog. On BB with 245/75r16s and wouldn't think they would hurt me that bad.

Ive searched to find the thread that says what injectors to use to upgrade and was asking for your input? I've heard neon injectors are the way to go but don't know what year/model I can use.

Are there better injectors to use? Or w
Should I start worth fuel filter?

Any help is merited with a digital pat on the back

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Saw this post: LINK

Used injectors from a Taurus.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Yup saw that one and will probably go that route, But was wondering about any better ones?

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

If you could find an early 95 neon, they had a 5 hole injectors.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

i used ones from a mustang. i did a write up on it. it was okay for a replacement but nothing fantastically better than stock.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Ok, thanks for the input guys. If my fuel filter doesn't fix my sluggishness then I'm def going to upgrade injectors. I wouldn't think they'd be bad, only about 92k miles on it

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
cjcyr8
2004 WJ 

If you have a 4.0 I-6, carefully check the fuel injector wiring harness; follow it from the front of the valve cover to the rear of the engine....There is a cylinder head stud/bolt head at the very back of the engine (drivers side behind valve cover) this stud/bolt head rubs through the harness, short circuits the wires and causes rough idle, bucking, misfires, hesitation and random codes. The symptoms sometimes begin after the engine is hot or has been running on the highway for awhile, and often come and go...It will take more than just a quick visual inspection....If the harness is resting upon this stud (or near it for that matter), if you don't allready have this problem eventually you will. I repaired the wire, wrapped the entire in harness in nylon loom, and put piece of vacuum hose over that stud...problems solved...
cjcyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyr8 View Post
If you have a 4.0 I-6, carefully check the fuel injector wiring harness; follow it from the front of the valve cover to the rear of the engine....There is a cylinder head stud/bolt head at the very back of the engine (drivers side behind valve cover) this stud/bolt head rubs through the harness, short circuits the wires and causes rough idle, bucking, misfires, hesitation and random codes. The symptoms sometimes begin after the engine is hot or has been running on the highway for awhile, and often come and go...It will take more than just a quick visual inspection....If the harness is resting upon this stud (or near it for that matter), if you don't allready have this problem eventually you will. I repaired the wire, wrapped the entire in harness in nylon loom, and put piece of vacuum hose over that stud...problems solved...
......ive been trying to track the same problems for a year ill be looking at this tomorrow.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyr8 View Post

+1 - a very common driveability issue I ran into at the dealership. Wires would rub the stud and short to ground on the block. The stud is on the back driver's side of the valve cover. I used a rubber hose to cover mine and it's been fine for years.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyr8
Thanks, funny thing is, I think I read that thread a long time ago. I'm not having any codes, bucking or known misfires. Its more sluggish and loss of power. I am definitely going to check that and put some hose or duct tape on the threads. I completely forgot to do that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.