4.0 Coolant Info? Flush (searched) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Coolant Info? Flush (searched)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
volvite
1999 WJ 

If you have the 2 fans, mechanical and electrical, then for sure check to see if the electrical fan actually kicks on. It should kick on automatically when the a/c is on. If not then the relay or fan could be bad.

volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
If you have the 2 fans, mechanical and electrical, then for sure check to see if the electrical fan actually kicks on. It should kick on automatically when the a/c is on. ...
The electrical fan should start no matter if the A/C is on or not whenever coolant temperature reaches a certain level.
GRTeam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
volvite
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTeam View Post
The electrical fan should start no matter if the A/C is on or not whenever coolant temperature reaches a certain level.
That is correct. However that temp is above normal operating temp. If you select a/c then the electrical fan will kick on no matter what temp, below or above operating temp.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
stonewellmark
2002 WJ 

Fan Relay......
stonewellmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

I have NEVER heard my electric fan turn on one time since owning the jeep. Changed the T-Stat yesterday and filled with fresh coolant. Still getting warm. I drove around town for a bit until it reached operating temps then I took the interstate back. Sitting in the driveway for a bit I noticed it was still climbing up It got just a hair past 210 and I shut it down. I have no idea whats going on.. I know that Water pumps don't always leak on their way out, but there is no chatter coming from inside the bay either which would usually be associated with a broke fin or bad pulley correct?

I have no leaks either.

I would be willing to try the fan relay though, is this a dealer only option or no?
Screamin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
... I would be willing to try the fan relay though, is this a dealer only option or no?
It is not a dealer only. There are a couple of alternatives on Rockauto.

To the left is the Standard relay

It is located under the right headlight

It may be a good idea to have an electrician test the fan motor. I suspect that sometimes the relay failure may be due to a fan motor which is not in good health and draws too much current.
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

New relay is in and so far so good.. Temp gauge is hovering just above the mark before 210 (like 180 or so?) I did a lot of stop and go driving and even left it running for about 5 minutes while I went in vatozone.

I changed the Radiator cap at the same time, just as a precaution since it was only 3 dollars.

I really hope its NOT the waterpump though because that looks like a nightmare to change out.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
volvite
1999 WJ 

So the electrical fan is working now I presume?
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Yes, so well that my temps this morning in 70* weather were around 150 on the highway. Is this going to be a problem later? Will my heat be cold this winter it gets pretty cold here i dont wanna freeze to death haha. It seems as if the fan was. on for the entire trip?
Unread 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

On my way home today I got a service engine light. Code is P1281 My guess is its because it simply isn't getting hot enough.

Im fairly certain that my electric fan is causing it to stay too cold.. I noticed it seemed like it was burning a crap load of gas as well during the process. What are my options here? Im running out of ideas My temp gauge is staying right on the line just before the 210* mark. It usually hovered in the middle of those two or JUST before the 210* line. And this was with a broken electric fan, and before I replaced fluids, thermostat and radiator cap.
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #26
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
... Im fairly certain that my electric fan is causing it to stay too cold..
А cooling fan cannot cause an engine to run too cold. After all, its function is to cool the radiator. On a normally operating system, if the coolant temperature is below required operating level, the thermostat would close and stop coolant from flowing through the radiator, thus eliminating the effect of an eventually faulty fan which is running non-stop.

So, if your engine is running too cold, I would check the thermostat. My guess would be that the replacement thermostat you have used may be either faulty (does not close well) or it may not be the correct one temperature wise. The standard thermostat opens at 195 but there are thermostats that would open at 180 or 160 degrees.
Unread 08-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #27
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the reply, I pulled the fan relay last night and was happy with the temps for the most part they never really got much higher than that 210* mark when I left it idling; however on the interstate the temps dropped quick once the air got flowing and showed a temp near 150* ? My upper radiator hose was hot/firm so I would guess that coolant is circulating at least? I purchased a 195* t-stat I made sure of that.

Should I still be concerned that my T-Stat is acting up or should I look at maybe replacing the temp sensor?
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I pulled the fan relay last night and was happy with the temps for the most part they never really got much higher than that 210* mark when I left it idling; however on the interstate the temps dropped quick once the air got flowing and showed a temp near 150* ? My upper radiator hose was hot/firm so I would guess that coolant is circulating at least? I purchased a 195* t-stat I made sure of that.

Should I still be concerned that my T-Stat is acting up or should I look at maybe replacing the temp sensor?
I would make sure that the thermostat is OK. Why not put back the one you replaced.
Your initial complaint was overheating while sitting in traffic. Since then you changed the T-stat and the fan relay.
Your last test (with the fan turned off) showed that the engine is running colder than normal. My guess is that the T-stat is not working as it should, i.e. it is not closing off the coolant flow when needed.
The reasons for this might be: a) defective T-stat; b) something is preventing the T-stat from closing below 195 degrees.
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #29
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the reply. I tried the jeep again with the relay out and this morning in 80* temps it ran a steady 150 on the interstate and on the side roads it read around 175 still too low to and causing the ses to kick on. On my trip home, in 95* weather I did a lot of stop and go with traffic and the temps were climbing above 210 near that 220* mark or so. When moving on the interstate the temp stayed about a needles width below 210 and on the side roads the temps would go to a steady 210* but at the stops like I said it was still climbing.
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #30
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Thermostat... Failsafe thermo was garbage and was sticking in the OPEN position. New fluid, new thermo, new gasket and its fixed.

I actually got tired of messing with it and wednesday before work I took it to a shop and left it.

70 dollars and 3 days later its back and working great or so they say. I'll go for a drive later and see.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.