4.0 Coolant Info? Flush (searched) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Coolant Info? Flush (searched)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

4.0 Coolant Info? Flush (searched)

So I searched and searched and all I can find is overheating.. WJ jeeps has a article on how to change the coolant, but I don't even know where to begin.

What is the best way for a noob like me to do all of this? I was sitting in traffic today and noticed my temp gauge just climb and climb. It got to about 225-30 ish when I decided enough was enough so I rolled the windows down and cranked the Heat on high.. this kept it RIGHT above the 210 mark. When I finally got started driving again it dropped down to 210 with the AC on and moving at 65-75 mph on the highway. But once I stopped again at a red light it started creeping back up again.

I'll check the oil and make sure its not milky, but I don't think she dropped a gasket or warped a head with that little bit of heat. I just wanna get the coolant out and throw some new in as well as change the thermo. Can someone guide me or tell me a proper way to do this? Or point me to a post? Ive never removed a freeze plug like it says to do on WJJeeps.com.. I wouldn't know how or where to begin.

Also will any coolant work ok, or do I need a special type?

Screamin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
volvite
1999 WJ 

Here is your best guide:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/cooling.htm#DRAIN40
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

How does the drain plug work? I just re-read the post on WJ jeeps and seen where its located, but how does it work? the WJ Jeeps post is kinda bland, and is that sufficient enough or do I need to flush or anything?

I read the WJ Jeeps post before I even came here to search and I just felt like I had more questions still than it answered haha.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
volvite
1999 WJ 

The draincock on the radiator just unscrews. However I would just remove the t-stat to drain the block.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/thermostat_40.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on the removal of the drain plugs.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

And thus, is the reason I made this thread LOL.. Volvite, I would like to thank you for at least getting this thread started! Im more worried about the drain plug that is on the block that it lists.. Ive done a drain on a car before, but never drained a block. I had to flush flush flush with water to clear it out and that sucked.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your overheating symptoms suggests that the mechanical fan clutch may be weak and should be replaced. You should also replace the radiator cap.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
volvite
1999 WJ 

Well since my posts have been usless, here's one more. This link shows the installation of a block heater that uses one of the core plugs. Looks like they are not screwed in. Hope this helps. All other posts I've seen show to disconnect the lower hose and flush that way. Hope this might give you some ideas.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82201506.pdf
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
laredojo
2002 WJ 

look at your coolant level before doing anything. change out the Tstat if you flush it also. from your symtoms I would think either low coolant or bad stat. but could also be fan problem, plugged radiator. or old worn out water pump.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Well since my posts have been usless, here's one more. This link shows the installation of a block heater that uses one of the core plugs. Looks like they are not screwed in. Hope this helps. All other posts I've seen show to disconnect the lower hose and flush that way. Hope this might give you some ideas.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82201506.pdf
I wouldn't say useless at all man, I didn't mean it to sound that way. Im just really new to jeeps I've been a owner for ALMOST a year now and making the transition from F-body to WJ has been tough!

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
... I just wanna get the coolant out and throw some new in as well as change the thermo. ...
How about the cooling fans? On mine the electrical fan is doing most of the job while driving in city traffic. It is not uncommon for the relay that controls this fan to fail. I would check if the electrical fan engages before changing coolant and thermostat.
GRTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
volvite
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
I wouldn't say useless at all man, I didn't mean it to sound that way. Im just really new to jeeps I've been a owner for ALMOST a year now and making the transition from F-body to WJ has been tough!

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Hey, I know you didn't mean anything by that. Did that last link/photo help with anything?
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
georged
2004 WJ 

I have an 04 GCL 6 cyl. The 04 FSM shows a block drain, but there are none on my block.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Hey, I know you didn't mean anything by that. Did that last link/photo help with anything?
Yes it did actually.. I will need a new plug correct? Can I use a hose and flush somehow instead of breaking that plug and trying to track one down?

I checked my coolant level today.. It is full. I started the jeep up with the radiator cap off and watched to see if coolant was circulating and it was not. The coolant level kept rising and was not being sucked into the block instead it was being spilled onto the engine compartment and ground I bought 4 gallons of coolant. It says 15quarts including 1 quart for the resivor.. is that 1quart resivor included in the 15 quarts or is it actually 16 quarts?
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
laredojo
2002 WJ 

did you wait for it to reach operating temp? the t stat wont open until it hits a preset temp.
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Screamin_99
2003 WJ 

I don't know exaclty where it stopped at no; If I had to guess it was close to opperating temps simply for the fact that the coolant was coming out and spilling onto the driveway so I had to hurry and turn it off.

I am fairly certain that my electric fan relay is dead as well. I've never seen or heard it kick on, only the mechanical fan.

Deleted that bottom post and combined with this one.. sorry for double post mods.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.