31 inch tires sluggish? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 31 inch tires sluggish?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

31 inch tires sluggish?

Sorry, this is my second post, so I'm a little new to this, Iíve tried searching for a bit, so Iím sorry if there is a similar thread already. And I apologize for the long post as well, but if you have a moment any input would be greatly appreciated.

First off a tad of an introduction and Jeep Info. I donít have a ton of mechanical experience, but Iím not afraid to tackle any project save for opening up a transmission or motor, lifting my Jeep was one of the biggest projects Iíve taken on. I bought my Jeep late last year after selling a lifted Tacoma, the Tacoma was fun to drive but the jeep has been way more comfortable than my old truck. I bought a 02 Special Edition, equipped with an I6, D30, D35, 3.73 gears.

Recently lifted my Jeep with the ďKolak setupĒ so far Iíve enjoying it for the most part. It seems to handle a bit better than before, not as loose anyway. However It seems to be significantly slower than before, and it seems to be shifting rather late as well. I understand that this is due to the larger tire size. However the difference feels more substantial than the increase in tire size. I went with BFG ATs in a 245/75/R16s so itís a 30.5 inch tire roughly. The tire size I had prior to the lift was a 255/65/R16. I also put on a set of Cragar Soft Eight rims with a 5 inch backspace. I do most of my driving at about 45mph, It used to shift roughly in the high 30s early 40s so I could cruise nicely at 45 at 1500 rpm, now it wonít kick into gear until late 40ís or early 50s, unless I want to cruise at just over 2000 rpm, sounding very ready to shift.
Also when we finished the lift we noticed a vacuum line had been torn, Iíve since fixed it, and I was hoping that might have been related to the sluggishness, but no such luck. Can going to a 31 inch tire cause that much strain? Or would it be more attributed to the weight of the steel rims? Iíve been considering regearing to 4.10 gears, or even swapping my stock alloys instead of the cragars if thatís the culprit. Iíve read that 4.10s arenít worth the cash to upgrade from 3.73, but the current powerband I have with the 31/3.73 combo is far slower than It was prior. I realize itís hard to say seeing as so much was changed on the vehicle all at once, and itís difficult to say what the culprit is, but Iím at a bit of a loss and Iíd appreciate any input any of you fellow jeepsters might have. If youíve read this far thanks for taking the time to see if you could help.

DangerFrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
C101Commando

I noticed the same thing going from 245/75/16 Goodyear highway tread tires and a 2" spacer lift to a 4" long arm lift with 265/70/16s. Car feels noticeably less responsive. Totally worth it though..
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

How was the throttle with the 245/75s?
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

Nvm I see what you meant, you stuck to a similar diameter but wider tire. I actually went up in diameter, but thinner in width. I'm thinking the issue is the heavy steel rims. Though it's difficult to say for certain.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I have 32 in tires.. obviously it is a little less "peppy" than it was stock, but not really all that bad considering.

Still has plenty of git up an go.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerFrog View Post
Nvm I see what you meant, you stuck to a similar diameter but wider tire. I actually went up in diameter, but thinner in width. I'm thinking the issue is the heavy steel rims. Though it's difficult to say for certain.
The orignal tire size is about a 30". I doubt an inch larger would make a huge difference, but the heavy steel rims can. I would think that the rims are effecting it more than the tire diameter.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

Well I think perhaps I'll try switching the rims back to the stock alloys and see if that helps at all. I'm wondering if I might have just bumped the wrong cable or hose while I was under there. Thanks for the input guys.
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Tire and wheel weight can make quite a difference. I plan to jump tire sizes soon but I'll be sticking with the alloy rims and looking for a fairly light tire as well.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Running 33" tires and the 4.7l HO can still break the tires loose a little bit, even though it still does pretty good it defiantly slowed the jeep down compared to stock tires. Anyhow I decided to change the gears out 3.73 to 4.56 I'm sure for some people it's not an option because it's a bit pricy to do but should be worth it.
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Running 33" tires and the 4.7l HO can still break the tires loose a little bit, even though it still does pretty good it defiantly slowed the jeep down compared to stock tires. Anyhow I decided to change the gears out 3.73 to 4.56 I'm sure for some people it's not an option because it's a bit pricy to do but should be worth it.
I'm definitely considering regearing, I just want to make sure I rule everything else out before dropping the cash. Im gonna swap on my stock tires and wheels tonight to rule out a mechanical issue, and if that turns out fine I'll probably switch my new tires to the stock rims and see what that does.

Last edited by DangerFrog; 05-20-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

definitely swap and see what happens. I noticed a similar if much more subtle response when I went from 225/75/16 to 265/60/18. Only an inch in diameter but a crapload more tire overall.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

Just for reference, I went from the stock tire size to a 265x65 tire and noticed a slight performance drop, but only on hills. I just went to a 285x65 tire and there was performance lag, but not unbearable. Not sure how good it is for the transmission though, re-gearing is probably a good idea.
swkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

Well I gave the old tires/rims a try, definitely felt more like it used to, so nothing mechanically wrong. So I decided I'd try the new tires mounted on the stock alloys to see how that drove. So I went back to the shop I bought the rims and tires at to see what they'd charge me to switch the tires around. The guy offered to switch my rims out for some alloy ones if I payed the difference, and the difference wasn't much more than having the tires remounted so I went for it. Not sure if it'll make a difference or not but these rims are only about 4 lbs heavier than the stock, instead of the Cragars which were a little closer to 10 lbs heavier per tire, and that has to make some kind of a difference. He even offered to let me switch to a different tire as the ones I have are 10ply, which he suggests may be too stiff for a Jeep this size, but I don't know much about that, I think I'm going to hold onto my BFG ATs. So major props to america's/discount tire, I never expected that kind of service from them. Thanks for the input guys, hopefully the new lighter rims will help my power loss a bit, If not I may regear sooner than I planned
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Unsprung wheel weight is going to make a huge difference. Also 10 ply wheels are really heavy... Kinda overkill unless you have a pickup or desire super thick sidewalls for trails.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100íS♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12Ē sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
DangerFrog
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderHound View Post
Unsprung wheel weight is going to make a huge difference. Also 10 ply wheels are really heavy... Kinda overkill unless you have a pickup or desire super thick sidewalls for trails.
Yeah I've been looking at their tire selection, unfortunately a lot of the tires they carry in a 245/75/r16 are E1. I'm considering the goodyear silent armors. But I haven't decided yet. Any clue how much heavier a 10 ply wheel would be over an 8 or 6?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.