3000 Mile trip across America!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3000 Mile trip across America!!

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
strongt
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
When you have the belt off, check your tensioner pulley and Idler Pulley bearing for roughness.
X2 ! I just did this today because I'm going on a long trip. I found the tensioner pulley was shot. Real easy to replace. I just replaced the pulley on the tensioner. Instead of replacing the tensioner assy. $20 for a Dayco pulley. Got 169,000 miles out of the factory pulley.

strongt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

I'm just glad my roommate is a mechanic because I have no idea where most of this stuff is haha I bought the Hanes manual but it doesn't make sense
Valkyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Here is my plan when this tank gets down to half I'm going to put 3/4 bottle of seafoam in vac hoses then 1/2bottle in oil and whole bottle in gassed the rest of both in the gas tanks

Do the 60 plus etc etc big smoke show then drive the last half of tank and at that end first tune up starts

1 drain engine oil
2 install new spark plugs platinum
3 instal new injectors Bosch
4 fill engine with Mobil 1 full Syn with Bosch filter
5 flush coolant. And clean with cleanser and then use sealer and put it back on fill it and test it
6. If we have it install cold air intake
7 drain tranny clean and eg new gasket and filter
8 balance tires/ Tire pressure
9 clean car
10 install new exhaust if we have it
I don't recommend putting Seafoam in the oil, only in the gas tank and through a vacuum line.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

http://www.techron.com/
Google is your friend.

IMHO, It's one of the standards of the industry for consumer-use fuel additives. Available about anywhere parts are sold.
Easy to pour too.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Don't stress it too much. Long-haul driving like that is about the least stressful form of driving possible (assuming you aren't towing). Would you freak out about the next 3,000 miles of commuting? No.

Enjoy your trip. I found (with my Overland) that premium fuel made a significant different in power and mileage going across the mid-West - at higher altitudes it picked up about 2 mpg over regular. Also, if you are using cruise control watch out for random crazy downshifts to 2nd gear on long hills. You'll have about 1000 miles of long rolling hills on your way west. Using premium fuel helped a lot. So does turning off Overdrive as you hit the base of a long hill. Just let it drop to 3rd and cruise will pull you through.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother carrying extra fluids. I used to subscribe to this philosophy but it doesn't make sense to me any more. You'll either be close enough to civilization that you can get what you need when you need it, or you'll be so far away that an extra quart of fluid won't make a lick of difference. I mean, if you blow a radiator hose, what will a gallon of coolant do? Get you a mile down the freeway?

Just enjoy your trip. Pick up a good nav and don't forget your cell phone charger.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Don't stress it too much. Long-haul driving like that is about the least stressful form of driving possible (assuming you aren't towing). Would you freak out about the next 3,000 miles of commuting? No.

Enjoy your trip. I found (with my Overland) that premium fuel made a significant different in power and mileage going across the mid-West - at higher altitudes it picked up about 2 mpg over regular. Also, if you are using cruise control watch out for random crazy downshifts to 2nd gear on long hills. You'll have about 1000 miles of long rolling hills on your way west. Using premium fuel helped a lot. So does turning off Overdrive as you hit the base of a long hill. Just let it drop to 3rd and cruise will pull you through.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother carrying extra fluids. I used to subscribe to this philosophy but it doesn't make sense to me any more. You'll either be close enough to civilization that you can get what you need when you need it, or you'll be so far away that an extra quart of fluid won't make a lick of difference. I mean, if you blow a radiator hose, what will a gallon of coolant do? Get you a mile down the freeway?

Just enjoy your trip. Pick up a good nav and don't forget your cell phone charger.
I've been running mine on premium ever since I bought it and I've gained 3-4 mpg just from that but thanks for the tips I guess I'm just a lil paranoid about it and I just can't afford to have it break down on me I have 7 days to make it there and if I don't make it there in time I'm in big **** I'm in the navy and yeah I have to be there
Valkyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Get AAA and make sure you have a good spare tire. Welcome to Washington! Enjoy your time at the NAS.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
cpratt247
2002 WJ 

Look up the app for "Pure Gas", it is similar to GasBuddy but will tell you the stations on your route that has gasoline withOUT ethanol.

Better for your rig, mpg's, pocket & will clean out you system really nice!
cpratt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #24
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Here is my plan when this tank gets down to half I'm going to put 3/4 bottle of seafoam in vac hoses then 1/2bottle in oil and whole bottle in gassed the rest of both in the gas tanks

Do the 60 plus etc etc big smoke show then drive the last half of tank and at that end first tune up starts

1 drain engine oil
2 install new spark plugs platinum
3 instal new injectors Bosch
4 fill engine with Mobil 1 full Syn with Bosch filter
5 flush coolant. And clean with cleanser and then use sealer and put it back on fill it and test it
6. If we have it install cold air intake
7 drain tranny clean and eg new gasket and filter
8 balance tires/ Tire pressure
9 clean car
10 install new exhaust if we have it
No Bosch filter nonono wix filters
xrunndonex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.