3000 Mile trip across America!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3000 Mile trip across America!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

3000 Mile trip across America!!

02 GC Overland 4.7HO 134000mi

Trying to get her ready for this trip any tips or suggestions I have in the works already a regular tune up plugs, oil, filters, new belt etc but I also have a tranny flush scheduled and installing a cold air and a new exhausts so anything else guys??

Valkyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
cpratt247
2002 WJ 

Be careful with the flush. With your mileage you are sure to have issues with the transmission. I would find a shop that will let the fluid drain naturally for a few hours and then change the filter along with the new fluid.

Rear diff and the front diff (if you have one) fluid change. Don't pump it out, I'd take the covers off, inspect, clean out, new gasket and fluid.

You said you were replacing the belt, but keep the old one as a spare.

HAVE FUN!

There isn't anything better than the stench of a road trip.
cpratt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
WJ4x4LIFE

Make sure your tires, suspension, steering is in good order. Double check your coolant system that it does indeed hold @ 16psi and you do not have any leaks. You may want to ensure yourself with a overlook at the alternator and battery as well.

Have a AAA card with you at all times, hahaha. That is all I can think of right now, but I will probably add on later.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Never "Flush" a tranny, that will kill it.

When you have the belt off, check your tensioner pulley and Idler Pulley bearing for roughness.
Also with the belt off, spin the water pump to check its bearing and check for any side to side play in it.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I don't see why you should be too concerned about the trans, these are stout units. Drop the pan, replace the filters, put the pan back and re-fill the trans. You won't get the fluid that's in the torque converter, but that's not really a problem if you didn't already have a specific concern. if your 02 Overland is like mine, there's already an aux trans cooler on it.

My advice is inspect all of your suspension bushings, the repetitive jiggling of a sustained highway drive could be different enough from their daily "groove" that they finish dying at the worst time. Be sure they're in fair or better shape before you head out. If you have any vibrations or out of balance tires/etc, get that resolved before leaving. I drive commercially as a major component of my job (just drove from Phoenix to Chicago to Dallas in the past week) so the above advice comes from direct experience.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check all your ujoints, front wheel bearings, etc. Check the spare, jack, etc. Make sure you can loosen all of your lugnuts also. It's no fun to get out in the middle of nowhere and realize that some gorilla put them on with an impact and you break your lug wrench trying to take them off. :|

Overall don't pretend something is ok if it's clearly not.

...And give us the details on the trip!!! From where to where? Why? What are your plans for stopping at attractions?????

Have a great trip! Road trips are the best.
Pete
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
jorge1170
2002 WJ 

Wj

Road Trip!!!!!

That sounds like a great time. Enjoy and post pics of the trip
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
journey50
2002 WJ 

Assuming Washington state where on the East coast are u headed? Ill be headed from Montana to New York here in may...2200 miles in my 02 overland...

Wash and wax her....clean cars look better and don't draw attention to them from troopers or highway patrol. Check everything over.... Make sure u have correct insurance cards etc... All your lights work including lic plate bulbs...
journey50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Check spare tire pressure,
Grab 5-7 bottles of Techron and add every other tank.
Do oil change once you reach your destination.
Bring nitrile gloves for messy work.
Bring container of water, JIC.
Bring windshield washer fluid.
Have a good time!
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

I just changed the diff fluid and the front axle seals I toon the covers off and everything

And yeah I'm just doing a change in tranny fluid no flush

I replaced the front wheel bearings/ hubs when I did the seals

I plan on rotation and balancing the tires before i go

As for my trip I leave Virginia beach VA on June 20th and stop in TN, MO, WY, UT, and then end in oak harbor WA, I plan on rock climbing at a lot of places as we pass them other than that just drivin!

And thanks again guys for the tips anymore would be helpful if you forgot to mention something thanks again
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
Check spare tire pressure,
Grab 5-7 bottles of Techron and add every other tank.
Do oil change once you reach your destination.
Bring nitrile gloves for messy work.
Bring container of water, JIC.
Bring windshield washer fluid.
Have a good time!
What's techron?
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
joeisalsocool
2004 WJ 

I just took a 2700mi round trip from NY to FL in February. I brought a spare bottle of every oil/liquid that the Jeep needs, jack stand, torque wrench, and most of what everyone else is saying here. Drove perfectly, just wore out one of the front wheel bearings, and front DS u-joint. Expect some post trip maintenance.
Have a safe trip!!
joeisalsocool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Darnice
2004 WJ 

I annually drive from Canada to Florida and back(10 times so far). (Ah I-75 in Atlanta) and never had any problems. Just make sure your good with everything listed above and you should be good to go. Have Fun
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Valkyre
2002 WJ 

Here is my plan when this tank gets down to half I'm going to put 3/4 bottle of seafoam in vac hoses then 1/2bottle in oil and whole bottle in gassed the rest of both in the gas tanks

Do the 60 plus etc etc big smoke show then drive the last half of tank and at that end first tune up starts

1 drain engine oil
2 install new spark plugs platinum
3 instal new injectors Bosch
4 fill engine with Mobil 1 full Syn with Bosch filter
5 flush coolant. And clean with cleanser and then use sealer and put it back on fill it and test it
6. If we have it install cold air intake
7 drain tranny clean and eg new gasket and filter
8 balance tires/ Tire pressure
9 clean car
10 install new exhaust if we have it
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
dsodko
2002 WJ 

Balance all 5 tires. You never know if you'll get a flat on the Interstate! Torque all lug nuts to specs. Then check them after driving 8 hours. Highway vibration does strange things. Take extra fluid. Cheap insurance.
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.