3" lift, body roll and sway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3" lift, body roll and sway

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

3" lift, body roll and sway

ok, so i did a quick search and did not quite find the answers i was looking for

I have a '01 WJ, 3" IRO with Doetsch shocks, adjustable track bar, JKS disconnects, moog steering stabilizer, and addco rear sway bar

I'm ok with body roll around corners, doesn't really bother me much, but it sways alot in a straight line, i tend to wander back and forth in the lane with the slightest touch of the wheel, I had pretty much gotten used to it but drove my other car for about a week while it was in the shop and after getting back in the jeep, i've been noticing it alot more

I was kind of disappointed by the rear sway bar with a lack of results, would the front sway bar make much more difference? i thought the factory bar was pretty hefty already, I suppose shortening the JKS links would help tighten it up but they are hard enough to put back on sometimes as it is

Also had considered ordering a set of bilsteins for a softer ride than the doetsch shocks but i am concerned that a softer shock will create more body roll

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I would get the front up in the air and check tie rods,ball joints, and such. There is probably something worn out up front causing your wandering.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

i replaced the passenger side upper ball joint about a month ago and need to do the driver side soon, the tire leans in a little but i can't feel any play in it, i'll try to check it out tomorrow if i get a chance
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
wconkle
2004 WJ 

I ran the 3" IRO and Addco swaybar for a couple months with stock rear links, and the bumpsteer was very bad. It was a noticeable improvement when I installed the extended links.
wconkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

i have the extended links on, I would have thought the shorter links would allow less travel and keep the sway bar tighter
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

Have you had the alignment checked? I'd like to know how much positive caster you have.

What's your hub/fender measurement up front? I'd also like to know if you got more than 3" of lift.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

I had it aligned in the spring right after the lift was put on, when I did the balljoint I had to drop the knuckle but left the tie rods attached

I took some measurements before the lift but never measured it after, and now I have the cut out flares installed so hub to fender won't be quite as accurate anymore
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

ok, so a quick estimation, after being installed for about 7 months, i've got right around 3" over the stock height in the front, and about 2.25" over stock in the rear, i also have a spare tire carrier and full size spare on the rear, so i assume the helps account for the lower height there

edit: i just walked outside and layed in the snow for a minute, the tie rod ends i assume are bad, i can roll it back and forth but doesnt seem to be any side to side play from the wheel, its kind of hard to tell with the ball joints though, but when moving the wheel, there doesn't feel to be any extra play
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Check the rear a-arm bushings, that's the cause of mine...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

talk with Kolak about Moog HD tie-rod ends or look them up yourself. Also check your front axle track. Have you taken several cross measurements to ensure your front axle is centered? This can cause wondering as well and throw off your alignment.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

If you can roll the tie rod and draglink without hardly any effort and feel the tie rod ends go "clunk" it's time to replace them. That's going to be a cause of wandering as well as potentially death wobble. PM me if you'd like a price on a set of the MOOG HD tie rod ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwarrior View Post
ok, so a quick estimation, after being installed for about 7 months, i've got right around 3" over the stock height in the front, and about 2.25" over stock in the rear, i also have a spare tire carrier and full size spare on the rear, so i assume the helps account for the lower height there

edit: i just walked outside and layed in the snow for a minute, the tie rod ends i assume are bad, i can roll it back and forth but doesnt seem to be any side to side play from the wheel, its kind of hard to tell with the ball joints though, but when moving the wheel, there doesn't feel to be any extra play
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

i was able to crawl under it this weekend and check everything out real good and i think everything feels pretty good, think i may have been a little nervous was all, also i took the JKS disconnects off saturday night to go wheeling and have yet to put them back on, so far i don't really notice much difference in it, monday morning i actually forgot that i hadn't put them back on, might just run without them a little longer and rethink what i'm gonna do
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

any update? Running my 3" Kolak lift with all new steering components and I have a little bit of wandering like you mentioned. I have triple checked my components and having my alignment checked again tomorrow. I hope its not any CA bushings.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

not much of an update, just used to driving it again, went a whole week without the front sway bar connected and really didn't notice it wasn't there, planning on going wheeling friday, i will put them back on after that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.