3" IRO alignment needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3" IRO alignment needed

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
NV-ME10
2004 WJ 

3" IRO alignment needed

04 WJ with about 142K miles on it. I put a 3" IRO lift with new isolators on my jeep and was getting DW around 45mph before I put the adjustable track bar on. Now that I have put the adjustable track bar on it feels a little more stable but up around 50-55mph it is still getting a little wobble (not DW but now I am worried it will turn into it). I have visually inspected all the TRE's and they seem good. I am still running 245/65/r17 tires which are pretty worn but have some life left in them.

My questions are is it worth getting an alignment in hopes that it cures any signs of DW? I was under the impression that there is not much that can be adjusted on these.
Also what are the odds that my SS is worn? It has decent miles on it, I drive on some crappy roads and I am sure the few DW experiences didnt help its life span. My steering wheel seems a little loose to me, not like there is a lot of play just real touchy I guess.

98' Pontiac Grand Prix, too many performance mods too list, 480+whp SLEEPER
NV-ME10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

unless you changed out your steering components, your alignment has changed from just before the lift install to now. If it was off before or out of date, it can not hurt to get an alignment. Worn tires can lead to some wobble. check for the correct torque on all hardware. These WJs are known for the TB bracket bolt holes to elongate or wallow allowing movement of the TB while driving. This will cause DW. I am dealing with the same issues now and hope to have it fixed tomorrow.

Two fixes for elongated or wallowed out holes: by KOR's hard bushing and hardware upgrade kit or weld on some heavy washers to resize the bolt holes. I am attempting the welding option.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Unless you replaced control arms, don't waste your money on an alignment. You'll end up paying $80 for some guy to tell you they got it as close as they could, while not actually touching anything because there nothing to touch. Is it worth $80 to have someone center your steering wheel for you, when it's literally two bolts, and a couple of turns of the drag link?

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fundamentally, you are correct --- there isn't much that can be done if you don't have adjustable control arms. Toe-in and drag link are all that is adjustable, and the trac bar if you have the adj version.

I agree that it can't hurt to get it aligned, but I did not. I adjusted the drag link to center the wheel and that's it. Toe in should not change as a result of the lift.

I do have the Moog Steering Stabilizer. I did feel the IRO bushings in the trac bar were a bit loose, so I did install the KOR hard bushings as someone noted. I think it's an improvement in the feel of the front end.

I may also try the relocation of the SS to the "drag link / trac bar" location rather than the stock "axle / tie rod" location. I've read that it can improve the "solid feeling" of the steering in the WJ.

All-in-all I have never had DW, but the steering does feel a bit loose, almost an "over sensitive" feeling, or "over-assisted" power steering.

It's not horrible, but enough so to see if it can be made better.

Good luck
Pete
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
NV-ME10
2004 WJ 

It could just be the tires are a little out of balance (I will be needing new ones soon) but I am just paranoid now that when it starts jiggling it will turn into DW again lol. I will most likely just get a new SS and see if that makes it a little tighter and not so over sensitive for now.

Side note I will look for a thread but any info on adjusting the steering wheel would be cool lol.

98' Pontiac Grand Prix, too many performance mods too list, 480+whp SLEEPER
NV-ME10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.