2wd...4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2wd...4wd

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
r1967a
1999 WJ 

2wd...4wd

So i have been reading and looking alot and i do want to make my GC 4wd eventually. I have read that a lot of people upgrade the rear to a D44, but what about the front. I guess people upgrade to a D44 because they are stronger, but how hard of wheeling will the stock d35 hold up and if i swap a stock front 4wd axle in how hard of wheeling while that handle. Im not looking to go all out or anything i just wanna have some decent fun. I know there is a lot more to the conversion than just axles but im learning that stuff too. In addition does anyone know what axles form other jeeps and years will swap into my 99 GC I6.....im really excited about this jeep, its my DD and our future "family car" cant wait to go wheeling with the kids one day.....thanks in advance

r1967a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

I actually just did this swap but I have an 2001 limited with the 4.7 and the 5 speed tranny.

The only axle that will fit upfront as far as I know is the D30 without any modifications, in the rear D35 or D44a (not D44, would require modifications)

If you are looking to do the swap look to spend $800-$1000

You will need:
Transmission ---> Transfer case adpater
Transfer case
Rear Drive Shaft
Front Axle Assembly D30
Front Driveshaft
4wd tranny mount
Torque bracket for shift linkage/cable
Console Shifter Assembly
Shifter linkage/Cable with clips
rubber hoses and hose clamps for the vent tubes for the front axle and transfer case

everything from your 2wd front axle will bolt up to the front D30 such as control arms, tie rods, sway bars, track bar, calipers, rotors, brake lines, abs sensors, etc

Make sure to get a matching rear driveshaft for your transfer case and that the case comes from the 6 cylinder cause the shafts are different lengths for different cases..... well they are for the V8

Make sure to get all necessary bolts and hardware for mounting.... most can be gotten at Fastenal or Lowes/Home Depot.... use a part manual most bolt specs are listed

on your front axle and the front yoke on the transfer case there are many options. could be double u-joints, double cv-joints, or a mix of the two...... if you get one with cv-joints make sure to get the driveshaft bolts that go with it..... if not they are expensive and you can't match them up at the part store, they are ever-so slightly tapered and only the factory bolts will work.... they actually come in pairs, it requires 6 on each end. The dealer here wanted $14 each but Kolak can get them drastically cheaper for you if that's what you need.

If you have any other question feel free to ask

Also, don't let anyone tell you that it isn't worth it, or just buy a jeep with 4wd and sell yours ... all the work that is required is what exactly everyone does on their jeeps if they lift them or swap transfer cases.... pulling the front axle is no harder than installing a 4 inch lift kit
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Blktjsport
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of doing this swap on my wj, but I'm confused do I need to get a 4wd tranny or can I just swap the tail from a 4wd tranny and bolt the tcase to?? If that's the case then the swap won't be that difficult. Now to the OP u can also so it in stages like I am. These r the stages I'm doing it in:
1) shifter assembly
2) tranny tail swap, Nv242 tcase , and rear drive shaft
3) d30, front drive shaft
if u do it in stages u can do as money and time r accessable.
For me the swap is deffinatly worth it because I've owned this wj since I had 32k miles on it and have taken very good care of it so for me I know this vehicle still has plenty left in it and all it needs is 4wd to be perfect.( well that and a 4.7 stroker but that's for later).
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktjsport View Post
I'm confused do I need to get a 4wd tranny or can I just swap the tail from a 4wd tranny and bolt the tcase to??
On the V8 trannys are all the same. 2wd just adds a 2wd extension housing and the 4wd has an adapter to bolt in place and the tcase bolts to the adapter. You prob won't find one used as everybody I have talked to sell it with the tranny, had to buy mine from a dealer it cost about $160

After the adpater its just like every other thread on here for tcase swap.

I will try to get up some part numbers later
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Blktjsport
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolcot View Post
On the V8 trannys are all the same. 2wd just adds a 2wd extension housing and the 4wd has an adapter to bolt in place and the tcase bolts to the adapter. You prob won't find one used as everybody I have talked to sell it with the tranny, had to buy mine from a dealer it cost about $160

After the adpater its just like every other thread on here for tcase swap.

I will try to get up some part numbers later
Hey thanks for the quick reply. So from what your telling me I can buy the 4wd adapter, remove my 2wd tail and just swap in the 4wd adapter and bolt the tcase directly to it sounds about a easy as any t case swap as long as I get the right drive shaft. Sounds like a plan then. Cheers
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktjsport View Post
So from what your telling me I can buy the 4wd adapter, remove my 2wd tail and just swap in the 4wd adapter and bolt the tcase directly to it sounds about a easy as any t case swap as long as I get the right drive shaft.
you sir are correct, that is all you have to do.... there is also a small rubber seal that you install behind the adapter, got that from the dealer too.

You never said if you had the V8 or not.... but here is the part # for the V8:

mopar #52098690
and is listed in the part manual as ADAPTER, Transfer Case

There is also 2 seals but 1 is included if you buy the adapter from the dealer

mopar #04799090
and is listed in the part manual as SEAL, Input

I would post some pictures but I am at work and can't get access to photobucket. Maybe later tonight
Unread 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Blktjsport
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No I've got the trusty 4litre. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for that would u?? Thanks in advance
Unread 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Yeah I can pull the parts for you.... now I can't guarantee that it all works exactly the same like it did with mine...... In the 2002 part manual it list a ADAPTER, Transfer Case as part # 05012428AA
Unread 03-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

sorry I meant to say "pull the part numbers for you".... don't want you to think I have this stuff layin around
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
murphydajeep
1995 ZJ 

Im thinking about doing the same thing to my 95 JZ, I have had this website bookmarked for like a year and it seems to be very thorough.

My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup - MallCrawlin.com Forums

Let me know how it goes and how much you end up spending.
murphydajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

yeah that is a pretty good writeup, im in the process of doing that now in my 96 gc with an i6. I found the absolute cheapest way to do it is to try to find a parts vehicle with no title or something I got mine for 200$ the jy wanted 250 for a transfer case yeah right
anywho heres a link to my writeup so far on it if it helps

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-build-979752/

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

man I feel bad for you ZJ guys..... yall have a lot more to do in order to do the swap.... I know for mine there was no measuring of output shaft from the tranny or the input shaft of the tcase...

Also no cutting was required to install the shifter assembly, there was already a hole cut for the cables to run through that was covered with a rubber piece and metal cover with bolts

Good luck guys......

I will start a build thread soon with some pictures, I will let you guys know
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolcot View Post
man I feel bad for you ZJ guys..... yall have a lot more to do in order to do the swap.... I know for mine there was no measuring of output shaft from the tranny or the input shaft of the tcase...

Also no cutting was required to install the shifter assembly, there was already a hole cut for the cables to run through that was covered with a rubber piece and metal cover with bolts

Good luck guys......

I will start a build thread soon with some pictures, I will let you guys know
yeah luckily I didnt have to deal with that because I found the exact year/drive train combo. But I found out on zj's there is transmission tunnel cover and if you get one from a 4x4 and switch it you dont have to cut it which is alot nicer lol

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Finally got my build thread up of my 2WD-->4WD swap!! here
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On the 42RE tranny (4.0L), the overdrive unit housing is the difference between the 2WD and the 4WD. The 2WD OD housing is long, while the 4WD OD housing has the mounting flange for the t-case. What I did was find a WJ in the JY with the 4.0L and Selec Trac. If the t-case is gone, you can still get the OD housing and two circular plates that go between the main tranny housing and the OD housing, this is important, got to have those!!! I was able to get the OD housing and plates, shifter cable, vent tubes, tranny braces, and the brackets for the cable for about $30,

I'm just waiting for cash to get the front D30 and the two drive shafts, and I can start this thing on my wife's '04,

Here are some pics of the parts I got:

4WD OD unit from a 42RE

These are the two plates you MUST need for the OD to work.

Shifter Cable

Wiring for 4WD light

And last, but not least, the 242. I was able to get this one that came from an '04 GC, Woo Hoo!!

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.