247 TC no fliud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 247 TC no fliud

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
DIRoland

247 TC no fliud

I'm just curious. Since joining the forum I've rebuilt a 242 TC to replace a non functioning 247 TC in a 99 GC limited with 90,000 mi. Last winter (2012/2013) here on Drummond island's ice cover roads I felt the lack of driver side front wheel not
rotating. Mechanic on island said brake seized. Too cold to work in unheated garage I had the brakes replaced (rotors, calipers, and pads). This winter (2013/2014) I noticed the car couldn't get out of it's own way. No All Time 4WD. Figured it's the TC. Had same (certified) mechanics check it out. YEP, TC is shot. Got a 242
from a 2001 GC laredo , also behind a 4.0L I6. Rebuild kit, new chain, shorter rear drive shaft and new U joints. Per recomendations from various authoritative sources (pro rebuilders,etc.) bought and installed the longer 5" plus input shaft during rebuild prior to removing old 247. First I drained the case after drive shaft removel/disconnect. GUESS WHAT? No fluid. Mechanic never even checked (no recent tool activity on drain plugs. Anyway, more importantly is the fact that the input shaft was the same short one that I replaced in the 242. Take it apart again, put in original short input shaft.
TC installed works great with the new console shift plate from eBay.

Still I wonder! Is the VC/PC not working because it's toast or did it only need to have a real mechanic put the proper amount of fluid (gold ATF fluid for the 247)?
One last thing. Is the 247 worth anything to anybody other than a permanent anchor?
Thanks

DIRoland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRoland View Post
I'm just curious. Since joining the forum I've rebuilt a 242 TC to replace a non functioning 247 TC in a 99 GC limited with 90,000 mi. Last winter (2012/2013) here on Drummond island's ice cover roads I felt the lack of driver side front wheel not rotating. Mechanic on island said brake seized. Too cold to work in unheated garage I had the brakes replaced (rotors, calipers, and pads). This winter (2013/2014) I noticed the car couldn't get out of it's own way. No All Time 4WD. Figured it's the TC. Had same (certified) mechanics check it out. YEP, TC is shot. Got a 242 from a 2001 GC laredo , also behind a 4.0L I6. Rebuild kit, new chain, shorter rear drive shaft and new U joints. Per recomendations from various authoritative sources (pro rebuilders,etc.) bought and installed the longer 5" plus input shaft during rebuild prior to removing old 247. First I drained the case after drive shaft removel/disconnect. GUESS WHAT? No fluid. Mechanic never even checked (no recent tool activity on drain plugs. Anyway, more importantly is the fact that the input shaft was the same short one that I replaced in the 242. Take it apart again, put in original short input shaft. TC installed works great with the new console shift plate from eBay. Still I wonder! Is the VC/PC not working because it's toast or did it only need to have a real mechanic put the proper amount of fluid (gold ATF fluid for the 247)? One last thing. Is the 247 worth anything to anybody other than a permanent anchor? Thanks
Should only be dealer fluid, or Amsoil going into the 247 TC. Those "certified mechanics" were probably excited to be selling you new parts to check that darn fluid. You can put it up for sale in the classified section on the JF.
If a fluid change doesn't help mine, I will be in the market for one.
Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

For the transfer case fluid only the correct stuff, no atf +4

However there are alternatives
the tc oil for the 247 is the wet break type, like on tractors and the big kawasaki quads
they use Mobil wet break fluid 424, think that is the correct number haven't looked up the details I a while
the kawasaki quads, kfx 700 and brute force 750 use that same fluid in their differentials as they also have a wet break plates in their diffs

hope this helps

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
242 swaps v8 and i6 dif , 247 to 242 swap , drive shaft length , fefluid levels , input shaft length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.