247--->242 swap help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

247--->242 swap help!

alright, i promise i won't ask too many more questions about this...

picked up a 242J out of a 1990 xj last week. I'm going to be overhauling it this summer and swapping it into my 2003 WJ for the current 247 to get rid of the full-time 4wd. Since this came out of an I6, and is going into a v8, i understand i need to take the output shaft out of my 247 and swap it into the 242 so that it mates. is that the only modification I should need to perform? I have both front and rear driveshafts for the donor case, and they're both double cardan. the rear looks new and custom, and the front is obviously well used. going to take them to a local drivelie shop before the install and see if they can be used. if not, i'll sell em on here.

found this on fleabay. would it be suitable so i don't have to crack the case on my 247? i'd like to keep it as a spare or maybe sell it....http://www.ebay.com/itm/310385362651...T&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0865.jpg  

Build In Progress...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

hmm only thing I am not sure of is whether the case from an XJ will mate to the WJ tranny... other than that the swap is super easy, swap that input shaft and you are golden, also have to move the shift cable to the lower position of the bracket that holds it near the transfercase

2004 WJ SE 4.0L I6, NV242, IRO 6.5 LAs D44a Spartan locked, 4.88s, BFG KM2s 35/12.5/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

so wait. i need an input shaft or an output shaft from the 247? and what would i do if it wont mate to my tranny? is there an adaptor, or am I SOL?

Build In Progress...

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM
narnwv

2000 WJ 

you need the input shaft that connects to the transmission. The XJ case should have the same bolt pattern, but the shift linkage is probably different, and the clocking is probably different as well. (clocking= where the front output hangs when the case is mounted)

In my 3 years on here, I've never seen anybody swap an XJ 242 into a WJ, so if you have a go-good luck and take LOTS of pictures.

~Aaron

post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
smunns
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Remember when I told you to get a '96 or newer case? It's because the gear cut changed, so you need the '96 or newer to swap your input gear. I don't think this one will work for you.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
Remember when I told you to get a '96 or newer case? It's because the gear cut changed, so you need the '96 or newer to swap your input gear. I don't think this one will work for you.
i noticed that once i started digging and realized i had an early 242. i just picked it up last week bc i couldn't pass for $50 when he threw in the ds's and a pair of lca's and shocks that i've since sold and doubled my money on. i put it back up for sale on CL locally and i think i'll post it up here in the classifieds. oh well, it was worth a shot.

Build In Progress...

post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ View Post
so wait. i need an input shaft or an output shaft from the 247? and what would i do if it wont mate to my tranny? is there an adaptor, or am I SOL?
This swap is talked about at least once a week on this forum. The input shaft is the shaft seen in the first pic below. You will need a good snap ring and a good lock-ring pliers to open the case and RTV to seal it all back up. I did it and it's not that bad. You may also need to swap the front yoke off the case if one or the other was CV-joint and the other was the opposite. For that you will need a 28mm socket. Getting the case out of the Jeep is not too bad, drain it first then I suggest a wrench like the one in pic #2 because the 2 top 14mm nuts (or are they 15mm, I forget) are in a awkward area to get a wrench so the flex head head helps a lot and you unscrew it one click at a time.

As for the case mating up since it came from another type of Jeep is beyond me. But I will say looking at your picture the portion on the botton looks like an adapter that mine does not have. If you remove that it should bold right up along with what I mentioned above.

Bone Stock 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L HO, Changed Stock NV247 Quadra-Drive T-case to a 242 Selec-Trac Shifter and all.
Upgraded my rims to 5 Spoke Rogue from '11 Grand Cherokee
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

thanks. i know all the tools that are required and how to do it, i've read all the threads. not many for the 242 swap. plenty for the 242hd tho. thanks for the helping hand.

Build In Progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.