242 Shift Fork Replacement, Need a lil help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 242 Shift Fork Replacement, Need a lil help

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
sjtinc
2004 WJ 

242 Shift Fork Replacement, Need a lil help

Hi all, I've checked around and haven't seen a thread on this. My shift fork selector on my transfer case (242) broke (where the little grommet mounts). I was able to buy the part from my local dealer for about $25. Now I'm trying to install it, but when I try to loosen the broken one it just shifts down to 4 wheel low, then I get a lot of resistance on that little bolt. Right now its soaking in some WD-40, but I was wondering if this part can be replaced without cracking open the case, or am I about to learn how to do that too?

sjtinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
sjtinc
2004 WJ 

imag0126_1.jpg

Ok maybe this will help. I need to replace #1. If I take the bolt out will 4, 5, and 7 drop inside the case?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.