24 ft camper. Suspension questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 24 ft camper. Suspension questions.

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
cmp77
2003 WJ 

24 ft camper. Suspension questions.

WE have recently put a down payment on a 24 ft. Camper and I am concerned about the suspension in my jeep. I know that the jeep can pull it. It has the v8 and the good transmission. I am wanting some suggestions for the rear suspension. What should I upgrade ? Coils? Rear only ? I am not a man of unlimited means and I work Very hard Monday through Saturday for my money so am not going to go buy some $2000 suspension upgrade. Ease five me some suggestions. Thank you.

cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Please give ** not ease five. Auto correct.
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Search?

Give us more info. How heavy is the trailer? Do you have any mods on your Jeep now? You have the V8 and towing package I assume? Why don't you think the stock jeep will handle it?
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Some specifics on the weight and tongue weight of the trailer would be helpful.

At that size, I'd at least go with a weight distributing sway control bar hitch setup.

A good cross breeze will have you all over the road.

Great weight distribution explanation here.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd look into getting a set of these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/air-lift-10...FVGf4AodJhwADg

I have a similar setup on my Tacoma, mounts between the leaf spring and the frame. Fully adjustable for you load, and they work wonders for towing/hauling.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
stone white 99

addco thicker rear sway bar for sure, turn the O/D off unless descending a hill or your on flat highway
stone white 99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
cmp77
2003 WJ 

No mods and as to trailer weight I believe it to be 3,000- 3,500 and as to tongue weight I have no idea sorry guys it's not brand new so I dont have a book or anything. Was thinking bout lifting the jeep anyway so figure now would be a good to
E. would four brand new 2 inch lift coils help with towing or is ther other things I should get as well . I have around 900 saved up so your input is greatly appreciated. The camper is getting here later toady so I'll try to figure out weight specifics
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
EvilEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp77 View Post
No mods and as to trailer weight I believe it to be 3,000- 3,500 and as to tongue weight I have no idea sorry guys it's not brand new so I dont have a book or anything. Was thinking bout lifting the jeep anyway so figure now would be a good to
E. would four brand new 2 inch lift coils help with towing or is ther other things I should get as well . I have around 900 saved up so your input is greatly appreciated. The camper is getting here later toady so I'll try to figure out weight specifics
The tongue weight is of greater concern than anything else assuming it has working trailer brakes and you install a controller. You do realize that the Jeep is a unibody right?
EvilEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
10mm

Beam Kolak,( as in Batman), he will help you!
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp77 View Post
I doubt 2" lift coils would make much of a difference for towing. I imagine the rear end would still sag the same amount, lifted or not. Some lift coils increase payload capacity (such as Old Man Emu), but most are just taller for increased ride height. I'd definitely look into stiffening up your rear suspension.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

BDS are rated at 240. Heaviest I have seen so far. Would help with the sag. Most hitches are not rated for much more than 500lbs tongue weight.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Hack
2003 WJ 

We installed airbags on my dads WJ for towing our camper. If you're competent enough to pull the springs, they are easy to install. I do not have airbags in mine, but with the weight distribution hitch it really doesn't squat at all. Its a 19' trailer IIRC. I would try it stock first and see if you need to upgrade. I would definitely invest in a weight distribution hitch before anything else.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
780406jeeper
2004 WJ 

From a fellow WJ owner who has towed many types of campers here is what I would suggest.

First this all assumes you don't wheel the GC very hard or need tons of flex. I would replace the stock coils with a set of Old Man Emu heavy-rate springs front and rear. Will lift the jeep a couple of inches which is good as the trailer will bring it back down. I would install an Addco rear sway bar as previously mentioned. I would then install a set of Bilstein HD shocks all around, and finally get a proportional brake controller. Ensure your brakes, axle fluid and t-case/trans fluids are all clean and topped off. Being 24-feet long, I will imagine the empty weight of the trailer near 3K lbs with a gvw near 5k or slightly higher.

For a trailer that size, a weight distribution hitch will be almost a necessity and with sway control will make the jeep a lot less stressful to tow with. I ran this basic setup and towed my 22-foot camper from AZ to WI without issue.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.