2013 Moabs on my WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2013 Moabs on my WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

2013 Moabs on my WJ

Since my WJ is a daily driver that sometimes I use for picking up clients and co-workers so I decided it was time for a more street friendly (less noisy) wheel/tire combo for my WJ. I'm keeping my Mud Guards to mount up for gnarlier off road excursions.

I picked up a set of Moab's with basically brand new 245/75/17 Silent Armors off of craigslist:

Pretty happy with the new wheel tire combo so far. I like the look, they're much quieter, and handle better. It'll be interesting to see how the Silent Armors do for mild off roading.

I got curious about the differences in dimensions on my new wheels/tires versus my off road setup. So I compared the spare with zero miles from each set and found out:

A: The 245/75/17 Silent Armors and the 265/70/16 (advertised also as 31x10.5x16) Mud Guards are almost the same height with the Silent Armors being about a 3/16th of an inch taller and a little over an inch narrower. (Both rims are 7.5" wide)

B: Each wheel/tire weighs within about 1/2 pound of each other. I was using my bathroom scale to do this so it's not exact measurement but each wheel seems to weigh in the 63.5-64.5lb range.

I was expecting a bigger difference in tire height and thought my new setup would be lighter but the numbers are the numbers.

FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How much lift are you running?

Jerry
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

They look nice.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Ah should have mentioned I'm running a IRO 3".

Haven't noticed rub under normal driving conditions yet.

Now I just need to get my IRO rock sliders/cross member/tcase skid installed... been lazy.
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
braddf
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
How much lift are you running?

Jerry
x2. It looks like the front end is a lot higher in than the rear
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Yeah it sure looks that way huh?

I just filled up my gas tank to the tippy top before I took this pic & had another 6 gallons of fuel in gas cans in the back... but there's no spare tire or tools in the back of my Jeep in this pic.

Also have a Kolak 3" exhaust just laying here staring at me. Gotta get that mounted up too.

By the way I still have a set of low mileage (<80k miles) Up Country springs & shocks sitting in my garage that could use a new home if anyone is interested.
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Just pulled my jeep into my garage (it's level-ish) to measure and from the ground to the bottom of the front fender is about 36 and 13/16ths and the rear is about 36 and 9/16ths so the front is a little bit higher.
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Stomper9
2002 WJ 

Very nice!!
Stomper9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
losttech

2000 WJ 

So glad the new wranglers use the same size as WJ such a blessing for us WJ owners
Its amazing how a new set of rims updates the vehicle look I have always liked the WJ body style kind of timeless in my opinion and with new rims looks like a new SUV.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Thanks guys.

It's awesome that TJ takeoffs are just right for a slightly lifted WJ. Especially since so many TJ owners just buy new wheels & tires right off the lot. Makes for lot's of affordable upgrades for us!
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by failwheeldrive View Post
thanks guys.

it's awesome that jk takeoffs are just right for a slightly lifted wj. Especially since so many jk owners just buy new wheels & tires right off the lot. Makes for lot's of affordable upgrades for us!
^^ fify.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

whoops, yeah meant JK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.