2004 JGC Grinding when turning left - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 JGC Grinding when turning left

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
lfreitas

2004 JGC Grinding when turning left

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited edition, and when I turn left, it grinds as if the wheels are rubbing on something. I have the same size wheels that were on the jeep when I bought it brand new in 2004 so I donít think the tires are rubbing. Does anyone have a suggestion to what the problem might be? Thanks!

lfreitas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Biggie862005
2000 WJ 

You should probably post more info about your jeep to make it easier to trouble shoot. Im going to assume that your jeep is a quadra-drive jeep. If so it is more then likely the differentials groaning. Change the fluid in both diffs with 75w-140 synthetic gear oil, and the dealer only friction modifier. While you are at it, may as well change the t-case oil with the dealer only 247 transfer case lubricant. All this is assuming you have a quadra drive jeep, if not then it is likely something else.
Biggie862005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
KJINTF
2002 WJ 

2002 GC Overland - stock tires - no lift - 65K miles
I changed the front diff oil and added FM also changed the transfer case fluid all with the proper MOPAR stuff
After 300 miles or so it still groans as if the tire is rubbing once in a while on very hard left turns
Changing the fluids did reduce the noise but has not yet totally eliminated it
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Check out the axle CV joints too. If there are any tears in the boot the CV will lose its grease and will be on its way out, if it isn't already pooched.

Wheel bearings are also easy to check. Lift the front wheel a couple inches off the ground, grab the tire at 12 & 6 and rock it real hard. There shouldn't be any play.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quadradrive???

Change out both front and rear diff fluid with 75w-140 syntetic diff fluid add 4oz friction modifier in each diff.

Drain and refill transfer case fluid and use nv-247 fluid only for this.

This did My grouning noise when doing tight turns Go away.

But first you have to know If you have a Quadradrive or not, These Are fluids for Quadradrive ONLY.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
KJINTF
2002 WJ 

Not sure about the OP but mine is a Quadra Drive which was stock in the 2002 Overland
Wheel bearings are in good shape and no punchures or tears in the CV boots they look almost new
Changing the fluid did vastly reduce the noise but still every once in a while the noise returns
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF
Not sure about the OP but mine is a Quadra Drive which was stock in the 2002 Overland
Wheel bearings are in good shape and no punchures or tears in the CV boots they look almost new
Changing the fluid did vastly reduce the noise but still every once in a while the noise returns
Do you use dealer diff fluid or diff fluid and add fm?
Try add a litle more fm.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
lfreitas

My Jeep is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD....I do not have Quadradrive. Sorry guys I'm doing the best I can do here (female writing). I have my original sticker, it does say Quadra-TracII on Demand 4WD System. I have no clue if thats Quadradrive. I'm just trying to figure this out. The guys that do work on my car have added more power steering fluid but that did nothing. They can't find whats wrong otherwise. I've posted other messages about small problems with my Jeep and everyone here has been great, those problems were fixed with posted messages. Thanks again!
lfreitas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfreitas
My Jeep is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD....I do not have Quadradrive. Sorry guys I'm doing the best I can do here (female writing). I have my original sticker, it does say Quadra-TracII on Demand 4WD System. I have no clue if thats Quadradrive. I'm just trying to figure this out. The guys that do work on my car have added more power steering fluid but that did nothing. They can't find whats wrong otherwise. I've posted other messages about small problems with my Jeep and everyone here has been great, those problems were fixed with posted messages. Thanks again!
Ok then you do not have the Quadradrive. You have the quadratrac version. These Are different 4x4 systems. The Quadradrive act like this when its not used correct fluid.

Unread 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
shepd
2000 WJ 

Probably not your problem, but I had the exact same problem, it only appeared when turning left. The plastic covering protecting wheel well was loose and the tire was rubbing on it (it actually got stuck there). I cut the loose plastic off, since much of it had worn away from this abuse anyways, and the problem is gone. I figure a little extra dirt hitting the bumper isn't going to matter much.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
KJINTF
2002 WJ 

Not sure if you have seen this Jeep Service Bulletin - might be the issue with the left turn noise

Thanks - I will try a bit more FM, yes all fluids were the expensive and proper MOPAR stuff. I added as the manul stated 2.5oz of FM when I changed the fluids will add about 1 more oz
5-19-2011-7-06-28-am.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.