2004 jeep grand cherokee special edition possible transmission pan leak? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ravenbar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Jkuhlb

2004 jeep grand cherokee special edition possible transmission pan leak?

I recently purchased my 2004 grand cherokee special edition and took it in for an oil change. The mechanic told me I may possibly have a SLOW transmission pan leak. This was I want to say about 1 week or more so ago. That day I brang it home I wiped and de-greased the under side of both pans and wiped it down, kept an eye on it until this afternoon I went under it to take a better look and I've found what I've attached in the pictures. I've been checking the Also I've checked oil and transmission fluid levels all seems to be fine for now doesn't seem to be losing any fluid.

The picture with the red circle I believe is the transmission housing looks like it may have a crack? And is leaking? I swiped my finger on it and it is definitely fresh fluid from what it seems like to me but I'm not too sure if it's dirt mixed with moisture or? May I also remind I have not ran the AC since that day to try and make sure other than maybe for 30 mins one day because it was super hot. I'm not sure though which is why I came here for some better mechanically inclined eyes. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0023.jpg   IMG_0022.jpg   IMG_0021.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Firts Picture: That's the transmission bellhousing. If the fluid's a reddish color, it's transmission fluid. If its blackish or amber it's motor oil, possibly indicating a rear main seal leak. I can't see much reason for that to be cracked. Prehaps a casting defect looks like a crack? I'd hose it down with a cleaner of some kind and get a better look. A crack there won't result in a leak.

Third Picture: That looks like oil from the first picture is blowing back onto the transmission pan.
Jkuhlb likes this.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Jkuhlb

Update: Wiped up the transmission housing there is no crack maybe just wet from the possible transmission leak, not too sure. Like I said any comments would be appreciated. Mechanic told me dropping the pan and changing the gasket should fix the problem but I wanted some other opinions before I do so, Jeep has 148,xxx on odometer.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Jkuhlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Firts Picture: That's the transmission bellhousing. If the fluid's a reddish color, it's transmission fluid. If its blackish or amber it's motor oil, possibly indicating a rear main seal leak. I can't see much reason for that to be cracked. Prehaps a casting defect looks like a crack? I'd hose it down with a cleaner of some kind and get a better look. A crack there won't result in a leak.

Third Picture: That looks like oil from the first picture is blowing back onto the transmission pan.
My transmission fluid is a little dirty too, it's got some color to it which is why it's throwing me off but yes the fluid is more of a blackish/darker color than anything that I'm wiping off of the transmission pan not much red to it at all from what I could tell when wiping it with my finger etc. Now that you say the motor oil may be blowing back onto the transmission pan from a rear main seal leak that makes much more sense of what could be the cause. Where can I find the rear main seal at? Is it something I should worry about trying to fix within the next few days or is that not a major issue?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Jkuhlb

Maybe it's a mix of motor oil and transmission fluid? I'm not sure what would be the best way to figure that out? Thank you for your reply.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you want to see if it's transmission fluid leaking you could get some of the below UV dye and pour about 1/4 bottle down the trans fluid dipstick tube using a small funnel. You may want to pour a little ATF+4 following the dye to wash it out of the tube into the trans.

https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics...UV+dye+for+oil

Then buy a UV leak detection kit like the below yellow glasses with black-light pen for $12. You'll be able to see the dye in the ATF if it's leaking from the trans.

https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics...leak+detection

You need clean fluid in the trans anyhow and I'd change the filter(s) and install new ATF+4 after checking with dye. Dirty trans fluid can lead over-heating/parts wear and major problems while a rebuild is super expensive.

Not sure what engine came in your 04 Special Addition but I have the 4.7 in my 04 Limited with the 545RFE trans. Kind of interesting but when I went to the dealer to buy a new gasket and filters they didn't even stock the gasket. The service mechanics said a gasket is just another place for leaks to develop. I used Mopar RTV w/no gasket and have no trans leaks. Good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2017, 01:07 AM
johnobub
2002 WJ 

Check the color of your actual transmission oil color on the dip stick versus the color of the "leak".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.