2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee---Overheating after water pump replacement! Thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee---Overheating after water pump replacement! Thoughts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Hundoracer
2004 WJ 

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee---Overheating after water pump replacement! Thoughts?

Happy 4th of July!

Vehicle
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

RECENT PROFESSIONAL WORK
1 month ago-Tires Plus replaced radiator that had a hole in it.

RECENT WORK IN MY GARAGE
Yesterday-Replaced Water Pump due to weep hole leaking pretty good. Replaced belt while I was at it.

ISSUE TODAY
I was driving the car to open up the thermostat to see if the coolant level would drop (to add more) and get rid of any air bubbles. Drove on freeway for 2 miles. Temp got to around 200-210. Came to off ramp and car stalled at stop light. I started it back up and drove it 1/10 mile to the gas station. At the gas station, the temp gauge was working it's way up and it stalled again. Also, I noticed steam (or smoke?) coming from the top of the engine where you put oil in. I took the oil cap off and it was HOT with steam coming out of it (not too much).

I have put about 2 gallons of 50/50 mix into the reservoir and the first gallon was gobbled up right away (prior to the stalling issue) and then at the gas station, I put about .75 gallons of water into the reservoir and at last check, it had dropped down from over the line to just above the "fill line".

Temp slowly went back down and drove it across the parking lot and it is sitting at the local Goodyear dealership. Checked oil and it looked brand new (since it had been replaced 2 weeks ago).

Question
Do you think I just had an air bubble in my coolant system?
Did the thermostat go bad?
Did I mess something up with the replacement of the water pump?

Please help! If you need more info, please let me know!

Thank you,
Ryan

Hundoracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Hundoracer
2004 WJ 

FYI-

Checked the coolant level and it was solid after 2 hours of sitting in the parking lot. Took the cap off the radiator and ran the engine too purge any air pockets.

Temp went to normal operating temps (below 210). But I didn't want to test it by driving it back home. She can rest at the shop's parking lot!
Hundoracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
zjay

one thing I have seen in shops I've worked in about the 4.0 water pump- You have to be sure the correct one is being installed. Ealier years has a regular V-belt. Those pumps will fit your 4.0 serpentine belted motor but will spin in the opposite direction causing overheating. The store should be able to re-check the part number. Also I usually bleed air from these while filling the cooling system by pulling the heater hose slightly off the thermostat housing. When coolant comes out there, reinstall it.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.