2004 Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Issues

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
COUNTRYLIFE

2004 Issues

Ok, I feel like a bad husband because I have set on an issue with my wives Cherokee for too long. The check engine light has been on a while. The first time it came on I had the code read, but can not remember what it was. However, I remember it being something with the electronic fuel system (I think). Most of the time when we fill up the gas tank and drive off the vehicle will shut off during mid drive and we would either have to pull over or shift it neutral and turn it back on in traffic. The service light would still be on. We would continue driving and the the engine light would shut off and the car would shake a little and driving would be fine and then it would shake again and the light would pop back on. This usually only happens after we fill the tank. Until last night i was driving it and it happened to me with only half a tank of gas. The engine shut off completely while i was trying to turn into a grocery store and lost all power steering and almost wrecked. I took it to get the code read again and popped up P0601 (PCM code). I read on another post i need to replace the PCM. No big deal, I am going to get it done, but its not throwing the same code as it first did. Has anyone else had this issue of the vehicle shutting off in mid drive? Any electronic fuel system code? Thanks!

COUNTRYLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
COUNTRYLIFE

Well...I guess no one has any suggestions, that's ok. I have been researching quite few articles on this forum and other forums and articles and will be trying a few simple fixes and see where it leads me before I buy a new PCM/ECM. I will probably buy from All Computer Resources since they have a lifetime warranty. Autozone/O'reilly's only had a 1yr warranty on their re-manufactered part. Has anyone bought there PCM/ECM from there? Whats your opinion on them.

By the way, the fixes I'm going to try are the following:
- Disconnect the battery and clean up the terminals.
- Unplug all wire harnesses from the PCM and spray contact cleaner and let them dry.
- There are supposedly some screws that might be too long that I will add some washers too that are near the connectors. I believe it was for only 1996-200jeeps that the screws were too long and were shorting out the PCM, but it won't hurt to check.
- Plug everything back up and start.

I'll let y'all know how this goes. I have also read that some people were able to replace the crankshaft sensor and or cam shaft sensor and fix the stalling issue too. However, I'm only getting the P0601 code for the PCM/ECM.
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Is this a Cherokee or GRAND Cherokee? I'm sorry, the mobile app doesn't let me see profiles.
Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

The washer fix only applies to ZJ's (93-98 Grand Cherokees), so don't waste your time there. Second, stay away from any ECM/PCM remanufacturers based out of Florida. A quick search on Google and on here will show you they suck.

If you wish to purchase a reman'd ECM/PCM, then check out PartsGeek.com, they are by and far the best priced on A1 Cardone Reman'd computers. Without knowing what year and drivetrain options you have, I did a quick search on there and it looks like they range in price between $140 and $180 dollars.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
COUNTRYLIFE

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2wd

Jeepies, I'm taking your advice and tried to email the company to cancel my order. I tried calling but they were closed. I'll call again tomorrow. Thanks for your advice and I'll look into partsgeek tonight.
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
COUNTRYLIFE

Ok, I have canceled my order of the new PCM to ACR. I looked into Partsgeek and they don't seem to look any better of a company to buy from. I checked Advanced auto and O-Reilly and it seems Advanced auto is the best to go with. At O-Reilly's you still have to flash the PCM at a dealership when you purchase the part and receive it. At Advanced Auto you can purchase the part for $266 with a $64 core charge and it will come flashed. I feel better about ordering from Advanced auto since i can at least go to their stores if i have any issues, just sucks that the warranty is only 1 year compared to ACR's lifetime (if they actually follow thru).

I've looked around for other places to order from, but have had no luck. Anyone else have any suggestions? Has anyone just re-flashed their existing PCM and have nay luck or does the check engine light keep popping up?

Thanks for your help guys!
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

You will need to give them your VIN and mileage at Advanced Auto. If they do not request that at the time of purchase then your new PCM will not come flashed for your vehicle.

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
COUNTRYLIFE

Alright...I have spoke with the famous Kolak and really appreciate the time he spent with me discussing the PCM ordering issues many of you have had with online dealers. The question I now have is this: If you order a PCM and it is flashed per your vehicles vin number and mileage, is it truly plug and go? There are concerns that with my vehicle having the SKIM module that the PCM can only be flashed at a dealership or mechanic that has the capabilities of doing so with Chrysler vehicles. After speaking to a ASE tech from Cardone, he stated it could work and possibly not worked. Has anyone been successful with the plug and go after the PCM being flashed and sent to you without flashing it with the SKIM at a dealership? Hope that made sense. Is there any concerns if i don't have the PCM and Skim flashed together?

Again, thank you Kolak for your help and look forward to doing business with you in the future!
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
COUNTRYLIFE

UPDATE: I will be ordering my PCM thru Kolak which it will be a cardone re-manufactured/refurbished PCM. According to the professionals, the PCM has to be flashed at a dealership or mechanic that has the capabilities to flash Chrysler vehicles due to the SKIM module. Chrysler PCM's are not truly plug & play. Fords are, but not Chrsyler. However, some people may get away with it and are lucky and have no issues. Another tidbit...you must take all keys (spares) you have for the vehicle to the dealer/mechanic to make sure all keys work. I'll update everyone what my total cost end up being.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

That doesn't make much sense.

The SKIM module simply verifies the VIN that's stored in the ECM. If the VIN that is stored in the SKIM doesn't match the VIN stored in the ECM, then you get a few seconds of run time before the SKIM shuts down the vehicle.

You should only need to have the ECM flashed before installing it in your WJ. Unless your SKIM module lost your VIN there should be no reason to have the SKIM or keys reprogrammed.

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Dealer24028

Quote:
You should only need to have the ECM flashed before installing it in your WJ. Unless your SKIM module lost your VIN there should be no reason to have the SKIM or keys reprogrammed.
False. ish.

The SKIM and PCM not only verify VIN, but also exchange the secret SKIM/key code. When a PCM is replaced the SKIM needs to know.
When you take it somewhere to be programmed its really not even the PCM you're flashing/programming, it's the SKIM. The code is something only a dealer or someone with acces to Jeep's DealerConnect website can get.

Excerpt from FSM:

PROGRAMMING THE PCM

The SKIS Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each SKIM. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, the PCM, and the ignition key transponder chip(s). When replacing the PCM, it is necessary to program the secret key into the new PCM using the DRBIIIŽ scan tool. Perform the following steps to program the secret key into the PCM.

1)Turn the ignition switch to the On position (transmission in Park/Neutral).
2)Use the DRBIIIŽ and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM, then MISCELLANEOUS.
3)Select PCM REPLACED (GAS ENGINE).
4)Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN.
5)Select ENTER to update PCM VIN.

NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition switch to the ON position for one hour, then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).

6)Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM will send the secret key to the PCM).
7)Press Page Back to get to the Select System menu and select ENGINE, MISCELLANEOUS, and SRI MEMORY CHECK.
The DRBIIIŽ will ask, “Is odometer reading between XX and XX?” Select the YES or NO button on the DRBIIIŽ. If NO is selected, the DRBIIIŽ will read, “Enter Odometer Reading (From I.P. odometer)”. Enter the odometer reading from the instrument cluster and press ENTER.
Dealer24028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I must have a magical Jeep then, since I had a used PCM flashed to my VIN (out of the vehicle) and just dropped it in. And yes, my WJ does have the SKIS/SKIM system.

EDIT:

Not trying to be argumentative, just sharing my personal experience with ECM replacment.

DOUBLE EDIT:

I think I see what you're getting at now. I'm willing to bet that when you have the ECM flashed, the SKIS/SKIM pass key gets programmed into the ECM at the same time. Now it makes more sense what the OP was saying he was told from Kolak, where some people have been able to get away with just having the ECM programmed and dropping it in, while others have had to have the vehicle present to update the SKIS/SKIM pass key.

It looks like it might be prudent to try and find out from your programmer ahead of time if they have the ability to update the SKIS/SKIM pass key info without the vehicle present.

Unread 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Dealer24028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post

I think I see what you're getting at now. I'm willing to bet that when you have the ECM flashed, the SKIS/SKIM pass key gets programmed into the ECM at the same time. Now it makes more sense what the OP was saying he was told from Kolak, where some people have been able to get away with just having the ECM programmed and dropping it in, while others have had to have the vehicle present to update the SKIS/SKIM pass key.

It looks like it might be prudent to try and find out from your programmer ahead of time if they have the ability to update the SKIS/SKIM pass key info without the vehicle present.
Dealer24028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
COUNTRYLIFE

Update: I ordered my PCM thru Kolak. It delivered yesterday and i had it at the dealership this morning. They installed the PCM and flashed it with my SKIM. So far so good, its running much better!
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

how much did they charge for the flash? tks
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.