2004 Grand Cherokee - Wiring issue - RPM / Speedometer jumping trans slips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
bobby244
2004 YJ Wrangler 

2004 Grand Cherokee - Wiring issue - RPM / Speedometer jumping trans slips

Sorry - new to this post - I did read the forum rules so hopefully I do not get placed in time out - after reading these post over the past week while my 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition - 4.0 - Auto - 125,000 miles has set at the Chrysler dealership giving the wiring technicans fits trying to duplicating my cars symptoms. Car has always been well maintain - had the door ground wire issue appox 6 months but thanks to you guys and your posts - saved money on trying to have someone spend time and my money finding the problem once the window quit and interior light stayed on I knew where to look. appox 3 weeks ago I accelerated from a stop sign and the car made a loud noise like the trans or rear end had failed to engage or skipped - I notice the RPM and Speedometer gages jumping when this happen - ran find for 2 days - then again from a complete stop car started jumping like the trans was slipping and again the 2 gages stated jumping - 3 days later cruising around 45 mph the car starts slowing down same 2 gages start jumping feels like trans has jump into another gear or disengaged - car rebounds for about 2 miles and same symptoms happen again - I get scared to drive it and take the car to my mechanic I have used for years - he stated this is a wiring problem not a sensor or anything I can handle (no codes showing when he hooked up the OBII device) and wiring is not my specialty - Take the car into the Jeep / Chrysler dealership - several calls back and forth and they can not find anything wrong" - no codes - sensor OK - they drove the car several times and could not duplicate the problem - after telling the jeep svc mgr of the nightmares and what I have read on the Jeep Forum about the wiring problems owners are discussing with this make / model and if a Jeep mechanics can not find the problem where do I go ?? I told him the car is unsafe to drive or pull out in traffic - I can not or would not sell it in it's condition and I do not want the car back until a technician at Jeep / Chrysler corporate office has been advised of the issues and to contact me and maybe they have a team of experts that are familiar with the wiring issues at the corporate level or maybe they read the Jeep Forums ? Day 6 after trying several scenarios the Svc Msgr asked permission for the tech to drive the car home from work - tech got 15 miles from dealership and car started it's trans jumping and gages jumping - car finally cut off and he had to wait a while before getting it started and limping back to the Jeep dealership - recvd a call from the service manager stating they had duplicated the problem and they found a short in the wiring harness under the dash and the wiring harness would need to be replace at a cost 363.00 - agreed with the cost versus the worst scenario of trading the Jeep in and having to deal with car payments -I will be writing Corporate Jeep/Chrysler a nasty gram about their faulty wiring and this is not normal wear and tear or routine maintenance for this vehicle. Thank you all for the forum it was very helpful - just wish Jeep would read it and pass the issues and resolutions on to its dealerships and service techs so they have some insight on whats happening and where to begin the search for issues resolutions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Was this you body control module or BCM? My wife's car had all kinds of issues with windows not working, interior lights out,etc. I've read that this can also cause problems with the PCM since they communicate with eachother. I did find two breaks in the grounding wire between the door and sill but the computer was still unable to read it. Essentially the BCM is your interior and exterior fuse panel. I ended have to find a used one online because the dealer part would have been $900 lol.

1979 CJ7: Gone,but not forgotten
2001 TJ Sport: locked and loaded
post #3 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
bobby244
2004 YJ Wrangler 

I have not gotten the car back yet - the dealership just stated that a wire harness was the caused and they were going to replace it for that amount so until I get the car back not sure what under the dash wire harness they are replacing - wish I had a better response for you - and hope it is not just a sympton and the root of the problem is what your are stating a control module or BCM - guess I'll find out shortly when I get teh car back

post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM
tcm_ga

For me, the cause of my jumping speedometer (with Torque confirming that the vehicle speed was jumping up and down per the OBD II computer as compared to GPS) was caused by a failing alternator. When the alternator was replaced, the problem went away for good.

2003 Overland - 2" BB - 30.5" Firestone Destination ATs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.