2004 Grand Cherokee Overland Lift Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland Lift Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
CEaston140001
2004 WJ 

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland Lift Questions

Hey everybody. I just have a few questions about lifting my '04 Overland, and some questions about wheels and tires:

I would like to lift my Jeep a little bit. I'm not looking to do any major offroading, just add a couple more inches of ground clearance. I also want to get different wheels (maybe 18") and tires. I live in Buffalo, NY, and we get a decent amount of snow every year, and I am looking to replace my 17" aluminum wheels with plain black ones to use in winter so the salt from the roads doesn't eat away at the aluminum ones, and then get new snow tires to use with these wheels (the tires that I have on it now are Mastercraft Courser A/T 235/65R17). I am pretty new to this stuff, so I am looking for suggestions as to what combo of lift and wheels and tires I could use. Thanks for any help or comments or suggestions.

CEaston140001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

for a small lift search for info about bb (budget boost)

for tires look at the rating on tirerack.com

for rims just look for some steel ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
CEaston140001
2004 WJ 

More Lift Questions

Say, for example, that I put a 2" body lift on my Jeep. Does that affect the suspension at all? Will there be any modifications that I will need to make to the suspension? Is it a good idea to do a body lift and a suspension lift together, or is that not really necessary? Thanks.
Unread 09-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEaston140001 View Post
Say, for example, that I put a 2" body lift on my Jeep. Does that affect the suspension at all? Will there be any modifications that I will need to make to the suspension? Is it a good idea to do a body lift and a suspension lift together, or is that not really necessary? Thanks.
First off, welcome!

Secondly, you can only do a suspension lift on our Jeeps as they are Unibody construction and not body on frame suspension.

With a BB, you can just install the 4 spacers and go. Shocks aren't necessary, but will wear out a little prematurely due to them being a hair short for the lift. Install the spacers and you're good to go!
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
First off, welcome!

Secondly, you can only do a suspension lift on our Jeeps as they are Unibody construction and not body on frame suspension.

With a BB, you can just install the 4 spacers and go. Shocks aren't necessary, but will wear out a little prematurely due to them being a hair short for the lift. Install the spacers and you're good to go!
x2 yup they got rid of upcountry suspensions so your good to go
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
CEaston140001
2004 WJ 

Ok thanks. That info definately helps!
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
volvite
1999 WJ 

Honestly, you don't need a winter set of tires. I came from UT and we got plenty of snow there as well, I had real good traction in my 99 with the new Goodyear Silent Armor tires. They are fantastic. No slippage at all. I ran they year around, till I got my lift and went with MTRs because they came with the rims.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEaston140001 View Post
Please take this in the spirit in which it was intended - for your benefit:
Close the lid on the laptop, go out to wherever your GC is parked, take a flashlight if it's dark, and get down and crawl under it. Look around, notice how the shocks and springs are attached, take a look at the transfer case and driveshafts, notice where the steering box is and what attaches to it.
Pay special attention to the coil springs and how they sit.
Note also the clearances between the tires you have today and various other things like the shocks, the inner fenders, etc.

Now, when you come back and read the various posts you get in reply, you'll have a better understanding of what they're talking about.

One more thing: regarding tires: for winter tires, you'll find a vastly greater selection of models, tread patterns, etc. in 15" or even 16" than you will in 17 or 18. For what its worth, my extensive experience with snow tires suggests that what you want is the tallest skinny tire you can fit, one that digs down to pavement, not some big wide tire that tries (but fails) to float atop the snow.

Best regards, and welcome to what is clearly the best Jeep web forum!
- R

PS: Buffalo gets "a decent" amount of snow??? LOL! What's that, about 12 FEET or more? You may not *need* snow tires, but you surely can benefit from them!

Last edited by Redbob; 10-06-2009 at 07:29 AM..
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
CEaston140001
2004 WJ 

I've owned many different vehicles and worked on many different problems with all of them. While I'm not a professional mechanic or an expert by any means, I'm no stranger to automotive repair and maintenance, and several of my friends have lifted Jeeps and pickups and stuff like that. I'm just trying to "do my homework" and ask as many questions as I can in this forum because I understand that it is the best Jeep forum around. I just want to know what I'm getting into, and I figured this would be the place to ask.
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

There is also a wealth of information available if you utilize the search feature.
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Cherokee4life
2004 WJ 

wj suspension

Hey jeep lovers new to this forum. I have been looking for suspension upgrades for my WJ as well. I currently has the OME 2.5 in heavy duty kit. The shock collapse range says from 0-2.99 but this kit was intended for rigs with winches or tire carriers. Needless to say after some use its technically a 2 inch kit. Unfortunately I do not have good reviews for this kit since I felt the quality wasn't the best for my usage. So this was the highest kit I could find for the WJ since of how moderately new they are. But I have noticed that rough country has finally made a 4 inch long arm kit and a standard 4inch X-flex kit for the WJ which is all coil/shock suspension rather than body and suspension combined. One is twice the amount than the other. I think I am set on the long arm kit but have no experience or knowledge with rough country products. Please save me the time or money if you think this is not a durable/practical kit for everyday driving but crucial rallying on the trails
Cherokee4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Cherokee4life
2004 WJ 

Easton

But if it helps Easton the OME kits are good if your not planning on going crazy in the woods. The budget boost does look good but your getting what you paid for. Also if you do lift nd get bigger tires, install some wheel spacers. Itll give you a more lower center of gravity nd security on the road.
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Cherokee4life...I am not sure how you are upset with the OME kit. Theyre practically the best around for the size you purchased. Theyre also generally stated as 2-2.5" lift kits. I think your issue may have been with cheap shocks, but maybe not.
Rough country is not a good brand, as many will say on here. WJs also are not "moderately new" theyre a little old now..Those jeeps also cannot even have a body lift since they have a unibody construction and not body-on-frame as another user has already stated.

I hope you both are getting the info you need, but you will find even more specialized care in the WJ section of the forum, which is what your vehicles belong to :P

Happy jeeping
95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Cherokee4life
2004 WJ 

Thanks for your input, I will decide to stay away from rough country. To make it clear the OME kit I have is great but I am seeking for a higher lift to put 33's on. Already have 31's but I could use the extra 2' ground clearance for my axels. Are there any kits made for an '04 overland out there ranging from 3.5-4.5 inches?
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There are plenty of companies out there but only a few decent ones. Try looking here. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/

Be willing to spend around 1000 at minimum as these are not complete lifts. You will need more parts than the kit provides.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.