2004 Grand Cherokee brake light fuse keeps blowing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Grand Cherokee brake light fuse keeps blowing

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Big_Z
2004 WJ 

Wj 2004 Grand Cherokee brake light fuse keeps blowing

First thing I noticed is that right side signal wasn't working, and after a few days my wife was telling me that her brake lights acts funny. What happened is when I turned on lights it would turn brake lights as well, but the funny thing is that the right side and middle brake light would be on and not the left one. Pressing the brake nothing happened and the brake lights were on all the times(whenever I turn the lights on they would light up together). Tried manually pressing the brake back and forth and played with brake light switch (above the brake pedal) and nothing happened. Checked the fuse and it was broken, so replaced it and started working just fine for about 20 sec. and blow fuse, after that it would blow fuse instantly as soon as I would touch the brake.
I start with replacing brake light switch and checking all the wires and harness around tail lights including the middle light didn't found any wire that seems to be burned.. Did not go to far unwrapping electrical tape but they seem to be OK. So it's not a brake light switch, and the wires and harness around the tail lights seem to be OK. Than I took off all of the sockets with light bulbs from the tail lights and was putting one by one until found out that on the passenger side top one when I reinserted socket was blown a fuse as soon as I pressed the brake. So replaced that one and it still blowing fuse as soon as I press the brake, tried to replace the bulbs and still the same.
Could it be that tail light is bad?
Considering to buy one found it on e-bay for like $35 so I'm thinking to do that and see what happens.
Anyone had a similar problem? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Big_Z; 09-18-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Big_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
turrillas
2004 WJ 

Not sure if I understand you, but I got several problemas with my tail lights because they kept blowing off after a short time, I kept replacing them. Finally took my 2004 WJ to the electrical expert. He told me the reason for it was the crappy bulbs I was using, I bought from autozone (Damn crappy chinesse parts). So He gave a new ones and car is working fine. Not sure if you have the same problem as mine.
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Big_Z
2004 WJ 

Don't think it's light bulb even though I see your point

Sorry about that I updated a bit info I was in the rush, hope I made it more clear even though it's complicated lol, huh...
I tried different bulbs and still not working but I agree with you about those bulbs because I did replaced several in the last year or two.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes, sounds like the light assy. Replace and see what happens.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

If you can afford it, get a couple of LED tail-light/brake-light assemblies and get rid of that mess. If not, then I second Michigan's advice.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
turrillas
2004 WJ 

Check the end connectors that plugs into the lights

I forgot to mentioned to you, check for the the plugs connectors that pluged into the tail lights. They get worn or opened up creating a miscontact, this will create a short circuit burnig the fuses or blow your lights).

Regards
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Big_Z
2004 WJ 

Thank you everyone for replays just got light assy today, replaced it and everything is just fine

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.