2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine Evap system and Fuel problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine Evap system and Fuel problems

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
thedukeofdanger
2004 WJ 

2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine Evap system and Fuel problems

Hey everyone thanks in advance for any help. a little backgroound, I bought my jeep about 3-4 months ago. Since then i have , with the help of this forum, replaced the throttle position sensor, replaced the governor pressure sensor and solonoid, transmission filter and fluid.
The problems the jeep has still is the p1486 Evap leak monitor pinched hose/ purge solenoid vacuum line obstructed/ blocked hoses. i tried searching everywhere online for a fix or guide and didnt find that much. I checked most of the hoses and lines but im not entirely sure what to look for.
Another problem is kinda strange i couldnt find much information about it anywhere. When i am at the gas station and pumping gas, i can put in about half a gallon of gas then the pump stops. Ive tried all different gas stations and different pumps. Any ways ive tried checking the fuel tank vent but i didnt see anything blocking it.
I also have a oil leak from the rear main seal but i am holding off on that until i get this fuel vent problem fixed, I am tired of spending 20-30 minutes filling up my gas tank. again any help is very much appreciated

thedukeofdanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Look at the drivers side, rear of the vehicle, just in front of the gas tank. There's a thin metal "bracket" that will unbolt and expose a mess of rubber hoses. This is where the roll over valve and some other items are located. My 4.slow had the same CELs, I opened up this area and found quite a few of the hoses slit open from age. After going into sticker shock at what the stealership wanted for those hoses, I decided to use some shrink tubing to see if it would fix the issues.

I had complete success repairing all of those cracked hoses and I haven't had any more CELs because of vacuum leaks.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
thedukeofdanger
2004 WJ 

Awesome thanks I know what "bracket" your talking about ill check it out tomorrow
thedukeofdanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.