2004 4wd not working? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 4wd not working?

Save on Selected Dynomax Exhaust Systems!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

2004 4wd not working?

I have a 2004 Overland with Quadra drive and it snows which is rare here where I live and 4wd isn't working in all time position or in 4 low. Anybody wanna help diagnose what my problem could be?

Juggernaut_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut_7 View Post
I have a 2004 Overland with Quadra drive and it snows which is rare here where I live and 4wd isn't working in all time position or in 4 low. Anybody wanna help diagnose what my problem could be?
With all 4 wheels on the ground and with the T case in high range try turning the front driveline by hand. If you can turn it then something in the front differential is broken. Even if something in the differential is broken you will feel some resistance because you are turning some of the parts in the T case when you turn the driveline.

Then if you can turn the driveline by hand in 4 high put the T case in 4 lo and try to turn the front driveline by hand, you should not be able to turn the front driveline. If the front driveline can be turned by hand in 4 lo try moving the Jeep a little just to be sure the T case actually locked into 4 lo. When you are sure it is in 4 lo if you can hand turn the front driveline you also have a T case problem.

Lately quite a few people have noticed a problem with their front differential, in several cases one of the axles had been replaced with the wrong length axle shaft. There is about a 1" difference in length between Vari-Lok axles and open differential axles.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

Today I tried turning driveshaft like u said in all time position and in 4 low and I can get it to turn so what next?
Unread 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
mr312712
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Today I tried turning driveshaft like u said in all time position and in 4 low and I can get it to turn so what next?
Since It turns In 4LO In Park It's a t-case problem most likely the chain snapped.
mr312712 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

I screwed that message up and just saw it. I meant to type I CANT turn it. Sry
Unread 02-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
mr312712
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I screwed that message up and just saw it. I meant to type I CANT turn it. Sry
Well In that case If the front wheels have power In 4LO then the case Is fine If not then u have a problem In the front axle.
Unread 02-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
tymaoaretae
2003 WJ 

I snapped both my cv axles at the cv joints last week and it did exactly what yours sounds like it's doing. Power was going to the front, just not to the wheels. Replaced the shafts over the weekend and now it works great again.
tymaoaretae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
xxturbowesxx

I dont think the Progressive coupler in the 247 used the transfer case chain to send power anywhere. Usually when AWD goes out the 4LO will still work.

I'd be looking somewhere besides the transfer case.
xxturbowesxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

10-4 I'll look into it more. I put a new cv driver side axle in it last year, so I dont think it's that but could be.
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
mr312712
2004 WJ 

Quote:
10-4 I'll look into it more. I put a new cv driver side axle in it last year, so I dont think it's that but could be.
Depends did u put a Quadra-Drive axle on or Selec-Trac and it could be the other side.
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #11
tymaoaretae
2003 WJ 

My driver's side cv was only about 18 months old, but it snapped all the same.
Unread 02-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #12
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

It was Definitely supposed to be for quadra drive because I had the part numbers looked up for them at Oreilys when I got there and they confirmed it was for my Overland model.
Unread 02-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
It was Definitely supposed to be for quadra drive because I had the part numbers looked up for them at Oreilys when I got there and they confirmed it was for my Overland model.
I noticed that several people that bought front axles from O'Reilys ended up with the wrong length axle. However on the drivers side the axle for Q drive is 1" shorter than the axle for an open diff so I doubt that you could have gone wrong there.

I also notice that tymaoaretae had some axles snap, I had the same thing happen and have mentioned this before. My axle snapped off clean inside the rubber boot, the boot was holding the axle up in position so it looked OK. But what was happening was the the clamp on the boot was not tight enough to twist the boot and rip it so the axle was spinning in the rubber boot. It took me a while to find that one.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
tymaoaretae
2003 WJ 

Mine was similar. The boots held them in place as long as the wheels were straight, but it became pretty obvious if I turned them at all.

image-4155720298.jpg
Unread 02-20-2015, 02:43 AM   #15
Juggernaut_7
2004 WJ 

So basically I need to check passenger side axle really well? Low fluid or in need of a change cause my problem? Was fixing to do front and rear diff, transmission and transfer case soon anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.